ZX 1.4i Niggles...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UserError
My Cars:

ZX 1.4i Niggles...

Post by UserError »

1/ On the front of the engine, behind the alternator, there is a spare 2 cable connector. I have looked, but can't see where it could go - on the alternator or elsewhere. Any ideas. Is this spare?

2/ Radiator flush - the last engine died & left loads of mush in the rad. I flushed & backflushed it with a hose, but now the engine is running I could put something detergenty in. Any recommendations to tackle the mush (more than general coolant system crud), or are all flushes the same?

3/ What makes the doors stay open? One of the passenger doors doesn't "soft click" into place & falls shut on my nipper (who is very stoical about it, but I'd like to sort it out whilst I'm in a mending mood). I've looked at the hinge assys on the bad and good doors, but cannot see any visible mechanism to do this.

Cheers,
Jonathan
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

1) No idea, if all is working, and no odd warning lights I'd ignore it - although check it's not the over temp or oil pressure warning light cable!

2) Anders used to recommend flushing with Vinegar. If it's oily then you could also try washing or dishwasher powder (something that doesn't foam!) - otherwise Forte products are very good (their rad sealer does a fine job avoiding a Xantia matrix dash out job!)

3) It's the bar that goes into the leading edge of the door a few inches below the top hinge. If it's not working then chances are the rollers are seized up / the springs broken inside. Try Release Agent on it first. Replacing it means stripping the door down as it comes out from the inside.
Richard W
UserError
My Cars:

ZX odds & ends

Post by UserError »

Richard, cheers.
I've got the door trim off as I was fixing the central locking and I couldn't see much of a mechanism inside. The bar itself is rusty, so I'll whip it out tomorrow.

I'll investigate the Forte stuff I think as I understand you have to be careful about what you put into these engines' coolant systems. My thriftiness wants me to try something else though....Vinegar doesn't deal with the oil (just tested this) and I'm wary of detergents (clothes or dishwasher) containing salt, which would be baaaad.

On a Pug forum someone recommended Jizer water soluble degreasant (like Gunk?), but how do you get it all out? Maybe it doesn't matter if it doesn't all come out?

I'm sure the Forte Biodegreaser has no magic ingredients, but it is purpose-made, which gives reassurance.

Anyone would think I was trying to avoid doing the dashboard lights....
Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
UserError
My Cars:

ZX odds & ends Door stay

Post by UserError »

Richard,
Are you familiar with the innards of these as there didn't seem much to go wrong, and no obvious springs anywhere.
There are a pair of floating plastic blocks containing a steel pin with a flat on each. These blocks are pressured by a pair of firm rubbery blocks when the assembly is crimped back together. Pic as usual...
http://www.spidery.force9.co.uk/images/ ... leaned.jpg

I stripped the door bar down, cleaned and regreased it, but still no joy.

I'm running over budget now (SWMBO is starting to ask "is the car worth it...?) so getting a new new one is out of the question and finding a good 'un at the scrappy is not looking too good.
Besides, I like to fix things.
Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis