Height settings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Height settings

Post by vince »

Has anyone come across this, and what is the likely cause.

My suspension works fine, and the rear corrects itself if you sit on the boot lip etc. Citaerobics have been done but i have recently noticed that the second height setting (raised ground clearance) just takes the car up to "top". Does that make sense?

If you select the second height setting from normal it raises up to top. If you then select top, it doesnt rise any further....its already there.

When you select down to the second setting from top, nothing happens. If you select normal drive position then it drops down to normal. The lowest park setting works fine.

Any ideas anyone? :)
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Exactly the same problem as mine vince. I first thought that it was air in the system. However, I have done thorough Citaerobics and I still have the problem.

MikeT suggested a possible cause to me the other day:

My height corrector linkage popped off few months ago and I bought another and Mike helped me to sort it, we had to use a mallet to get the new linkage back on and he thinks it's possible that this has knocked the clamp around the anti-roll bar out of position slightly. It seems to be possible as my ride height seems out.

Check your ride height is what I suggest and if its out this could be your cause. I will checking mine tomorrow hopefully. Just need to find some flat road.

Hope that helps
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

This is common! it's caused by a series of things: play in the height corrector linkages, slow moving height correctors and possibly the normal height being a little too high.

My 3 CXs, GSA, Xantia and present BX all did this exact thing when I got them. After removing and rebuilding the height correctors, resetting the normal height, revamping the height linkage and checking the clearances of the manual height override (coz that's all it is an override to the auto height adjusting) the whole thing worked much better: it responded within 3 seconds of moving the lever a notch or sitting on the bumper and the best bit was that all heights were present but going from top back down one notch to intermediate would now work whereas before it would stay at highest.

I've done this overhaul so many times now that I can tell you that the cause is wear in the linkages and grot in the correctors (in the dash-pot of the corrector making it very slow to respond)

It's a lot of work though! only if you can be bothered
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi