C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Any body had problems with fuel control relay? Lexia 3 flicking between inactive/active on this component. Battery voltage was reading 12.10 Vdc at the time, don't know if this would affect this relay. I am trying to resolve a start-up problem at the momemt and am trying everything. Can any body please point me in the direction where it is installed? Is it below the fuse panel in the bulkhead? Anything I need to know?

Have a problem now. Have had the battery off to charge and car is in Eco mode - please can someone tell me how to clear this alarm - am getting pig-sick of this and the onging fault with inability to start it. Have tried going throgh the intialising procedure for the key. buty no joy. Help please!!!! :( :cry:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Dont worry about Eco mode, the car will come out of this once it starts up, Its not causing the problem.
What it the actual problem ? are you loosing the feed to the low pressure fuel pump ? there is no seperate relay for the fuel pump, its integral to the under bonnet fusebox.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks. After charging battery (it was reading 12.16 off-load) - think I hammered it trying to start it. Disconnected the 2 multi plugs on the fuse box and reconnecetd - then started ok and has been running ok since. Do you think that the low battery voltage caused Eco mode and that possibly poor connection in the multi way plug may have been root of problem all along. Thanks for tip re the relay - the Lexia 3 diagnostics was saying fuel control relay inactive/active - flicking bewteen the 2.

Many thanks for advice.

Ed
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Eco mode is just a power saving mode, its likley because the ignition has been on for so long.
Take the grey plug back off the fusebox & check pin 11 to see if its slightly burnt/overheated.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Wheeler, will have al ook at the weekend, wary of disturbing again until then - just put it thru MOT and escaped with a front brake calliper leaking. Thought it would be more... 193K miles on the clock and a great runner till this last few weeks. Solid at the moment since dissed and reconnected the plugs on fuse box. What does pin 11 supply and is it a common fault?

Thanks
Ed
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pin 11 is the feed out to the low pressure fuel pump. Yes its fairly common.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

c5

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Wheeler, it's amazing that this was never suggested by Citroen tech as a possible.

Can the contact be remade easily?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The terminals in the plug can be bought seperetley & replaced.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks very much for you advice Wheeler. You've beeen a great help.

Ed
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 Starting problem / immobiliser??

Post by Ed Armstrong »

One for Wheeler - After a few weeks running ok and getting through MoT. Starting problem came back but armed with the knowledge you provided, I removed grey plug and checked pin(socket) 11, sure enough it show signs of over-heating and melting surrounding plastic plug (a little) but still ok. I scraped the pin on the fixed plug (which was discoloured) and put the plugged the socket back a few times to make contact and ok again (after reinitialising the key again). I rang Citroen dealer (Nottm) and asked about replacement pins erc. Not much help said "there are loads of different types" and couldn't be much help - no doubt sniffing a few pounds again - he had just done the comms switch in the stearing column. Question:please can you give me any details on part numbers for the grey socket and actual socket replacement parts. It might be that the whole grey plug will need replacing - can the socket / pins be taken out easily?

Many thanks - you saved me a lot of time and no doubt about it - money...

Ed :D
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

part number of the terminals in the plug is 6542TV they come in a pack of 20, they can be removed from the plug easily to be replaced.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

Post by Ed Armstrong »

is this a Citroen part number - or are they available from another source?

Thanks

Ed
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It's a citroen part number so i imagine you could get them from peugeot also.
Ed Armstrong
My Cars:

C5 2.0 HDi VTR 2003

Post by Ed Armstrong »

Thanks Wheeler. Driving around today engine went on me just as I was coasting to a stop. Off with the grey plug and a quick scrape around the fixed plug / fusebox contact and it started only this time the AntiPollution symbol came up with screen message and service light. It's there everytime I switch on and only occurred after the incident above. User manual says that this combination of lights can relate to fuel as well as lignition and exhaust. Can I assume it relates to the low pressure fuel relay contact 11 in the grey plug or do you think it is a :real antipollution problem. If is is the exhaust system any advice please?

Thanks

Ed :roll:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I doubt the poor connection at the pin has caused the light, more likely that one of the 16 pins relates to an engine sensor that was still powered up when the plug was disconected. I would deal with the other issue first then get the faults read.