HDi Alternator - weak point?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

HDi Alternator - weak point?

Post by RichardW »

When looking for cars over the last couple of years, I've seen more than a few HDis that list "new alternator", and now my Dad reports battery light has come on in his 02 Xsara HDi (only 60k). No diagnosis yet, but alternator has to be a suspect. Is this a weak point in the HDis armoury? A replacement is >£200 even from GSF!! I suspect it could be repaired (new regulator / diode pack) if required - but getting it out looks interesting, PAS pump probably needs to come off :roll:

Actually thinking about it - he changed the oil last week - wonder if he's knocked the wire off.... :oops:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: HDi Alternator - weak point?

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: Actually thinking about it - he changed the oil last week - wonder if he's knocked the wire off.... :oops:
Could be. Some alternators refuse to work if the small (warning light) wire is dislodged.

Seems odd for an alternator to generally have such a short life unless they're in a very hot place. Heat kills 'em and in LHM cars with the pump above the alternator, any small leaks from the pump that cause LHM to drip on them seems to reduce their life.

Chances are the alternator has died therough worn brushes. If they're available as spares then well worth a go replacing them. They'll cost a lot less than £200 that's for sure.

The alternator should come out relatively easily (in PSA relatively easy terms, that is :roll: ). Think of the Xantia alternator, it looks impossible to remove at first but in fact does with not too much grief. Hopefully, the same applies to the Xsara.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I believe the alternator on our C5 has a freewheel, which is possibly the common failure point and the reason they are so expensive. It's a 52 plater so your Xsara probably has a similar unit. I say similar, no two Citroens have the same alternator as far as I can tell.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.