Peugeot 306 - Redex in the inlet manifold

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pantherd90

Peugeot 306 - Redex in the inlet manifold

Post by pantherd90 »

Is it wise with a Peugeot 306 1.4, the multi-point injection variant? It's just I've added a little to the fuel to no effect, then tried putting some in via the intake and got no noticable effect (didn't seem to want to suck the stuff in). Then removed the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor from the inlet manifold/throttle body, put about 30ml in, went inside for a bit. Came outside, tried to start the car and it cranked for a while before chucking out the most smoke I've ever seen a car put out. There was a girl walking nearby and she covered her face and ran across the road just to avoid the toxic cloud.. :oops:

I drove it a short journey following the toxic start and apart from a bit of lumpy running and one jerky moment early on all I got was a fine mist following me wherever I went.. I've not messed up anything have I? The reason I did it was that I've never been quite happy with the running of the car since we got it; it had some dodgy fuel a while ago and needed a new MAP sensor when we bought it. This solved the bunny hopping/engine management problems caused by the old one being dud, but the throttle response still felt a bit "on or off" (if you took your foot off the throttle it would decelerate a tad too rapidly a lot of the time, rather than smoothly).
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

No noticeable bad effects after an Italian tune up and a few miles of driving. Was quite smokey but I believe this is reducing, the tick-over at idle now seems significantly better being very near silent.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Redex - and other decarbonisers - are known to put out huge clouds of white smoke for quite a while when engine is started up on the stuff.

Its been a long time I've tried it. In fact I've never tried on my Citroens, it was back in the late '80 -es on my BLMC Maxi's.
It worked really well though - I still remember.
With the same effect as you describe.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image