Rear Axle 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

Rear Axle 306

Post by rossd »

Hi all,
All of a sudden, in the last few days, my '95 306 DT has been making creaking/metallic cracking noises randomly from the rear suspension. It doesnt seem to happen over bumps, or cornering, but it can be provoked by bouncing the rear suspension. Any ideas? The wheels are straight (eg not inclined in at the top) and it has 85k on it. I cant seem to pinpoint the noise, but its certainly coming from the suspension crosstube area.
Cheers
Ross
1990 205 1.4
1995 306 Dturbo
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I think this is a common problem with the design of the rear trailing arm/torsion bar suspension as a 305, two 309's, a 205 and my current 306 exihibits similar characturistics. I.e. creaking rear suspension.
One school of thought says it could be the rear brake shoes. When the vehicles handbrake is applied, and the car is on a hill the car will either rise or fall. This will cause movement on the rear brakes after the shoes have made contact with the drum.
The noise could then be the movement of the drum and shoes re-gripping the inside of the brakes.
It could also be the bearings on the end of the torsion bar.
Does any one have any ideas regarding fitting a grease nipple to the radius arm, a la mini/1100/1300, and fill the arm full of grease to prolong the life?
Kevin