Xsara Automatic Headlight Operation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deejay93
My Cars:

Xsara Automatic Headlight Operation

Post by deejay93 »

This function on my 52 reg Xsara 2.0 Hdi seems to have taken a mind of its own, operating when the function has not been selected. Has anyone any knowledge of this problem or how it can be fixed. Presumably its a fault with the stalk?
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

could be the com2000 unit - all of the stalks come in this one unit on these multiplexed cars so you have to replace the whole item.... What are your symptoms - mine started turning the dipped headlights on when I indicated right.... (and I don't have automatic lights!)
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
deejay93
My Cars:

Automatic headlights

Post by deejay93 »

First noticed that the headlights were on in poor light conditions without the option being selected. When selecting/deselecting the option now there is no 'chime' when the button is being pressed. The lights sometimes will operate correctly when the switch is turned on the left stalk, but on other occasions will then stay on until the ignition is turned off. Where is the com2000 unit and is it easy/expensive to replace.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

sounds like its more likely to be a problem with the auto lights function itself rather than the com2000 if they are coming on without any other of the control stalks being altered. Maybe the sensor unit?
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
deejay93
My Cars:

Auto headlights

Post by deejay93 »

Thanks for that. Where is the sensor for the auto lights? I don't have a manual (apparantly there isn't one, only the French one) and have little knowledge of the car apart from the useless driver's handbook.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I would still suspect the COMM2000, they can do some crazy things when they fail.

Mine would scroll the LCD display through the trip computer functions each time the rear wiper was used!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If they do odd things when auto headlamps are not selected then i doubt it would be a problem with the sensor as the info from the sensor should be ignored.
I would also suspect a COM 2000 fault.
rabenson
My Cars:

Re: Automatic headlights

Post by rabenson »

deejay93 wrote: Where is the com2000 unit and is it easy/expensive to replace.
Com2000 is mounted on the steering column and is a unit that includes the lights stalk, wiper stalk, radio stalk and cruise control stalk if fitted. there are many variants and it's impotant to get the right one for your car. I've seen prices from around 120 to 180 pounds..... but you may find one cheaper. I understand that it's not a big job to fit but because the steering wheel has to be removed, appropriate steps MUST be taken when disconnecting the airbag unit!
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If your car has ESP then it will also need programed with a dealer diagnostic computer as the steering wheel angle sensor needs calibrated.
deejay93
My Cars:

Auto headlights on Xsara

Post by deejay93 »

Thanks for all the help, it looks like a new com2000 is needed.

On another point can someone tell me if a radio code is needed when the battery is replaced as I cannot find any info about a code in the radio manual. This is an unlucky time for the Xsara as last week got hit up the backside in traffic (damn students) and now the battery has given up the ghost! Ah well, joys of motoring
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

no need for radio code.
deejay93
My Cars:

Auto headlights

Post by deejay93 »

Changed the battery on the Xsara and followed instructions in the handbook but still lost the codes and had to tow it to a Citroen Dealer for it to be recoded. Is this usually a problem and how do you resolve it? This surely should be a simple operation!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Did you leave the key in the ignition when you did the battery swap ? If you leave them in it can sometimes wipe the key memory.
Correct procedure should be- open bonnet, switch ignition off (take the key out of the barrel), wait 3 minutes then disconnet battery, fit new battery & wait 2 minutes before switching ignition back on. most of the time you also need to re sync the remotes by switching the ignition on & holding the lock button for 10 seconds.
If it wiped the key memory then it needs diagnostic gear to reprogram the keys.
deejay93
My Cars:

Auto headlights

Post by deejay93 »

Thanks for the info Wheeler.

Didnt leave the key in the ignition but probably didn't leave it for 2 minutes after re-connecting. It came up with 'engine immobiliser fault' on the radio panel and the fault light on the dash was on. Presumably the codes in the keys were lost as the garage asked for the number on the grey card. They said that it's a common problem and even garages do it! I will print off your answer for next time!