HDI 110 Servicing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

HDI 110 Servicing

Post by KP »

How much more difficult is the average service on the HDi engine?

Im meaning oil and fuel filters as the airbox seems the same.
Just read on the Bio forum that the fuel filter is costly to replace and hard to get at as well :(

Anyone able to back this up or help out with info as the haynes is useless for HDi info :(

I know they do about 10k services but was hoping to be able to half it to 5k or less to keep the engine in good nick... :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No different to XUD for oil change - although my 2001 car does not have a door in the engine undertray so you have to take it off to change the oil. The diesel filter is on 37.5k intervals - and it's recommended to change the whole housing to prevent any possibility of contamination getting into the injection pump - the housing is not too expensive from GSF. Changing it is easy enough AFAIK - quick release couplings on the fuel pipes. Just make sure you allow it to refill / prime by turning the ignition on for 10s till the pump stops 6 or 7 times in a row before trying to start the engine.

Do NOT consider running an HDi on veg oil - the risk of causing terminal damage to injection system is just too high. Manufactured Bio is another matter - but I suspect Citroen say not.
Richard W
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Nothing hard about it at all. The fuel filter is on the front of the engine and the lid just unscrews. It's quite hard to unscrew but accessible. The filters aren't dear. The oil filter is no less accessible than the XUD's and no more expensive. Draining the oil is made more difficult by the undertray but that isn't the engine's fault.

There is more than one kind of fuel/oil filter, on the C5 at least, so hang onto your first correct receipt so you can order by part number next time.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I bought a complete fuel filter housing from Euro for £40 and it turned out to be the wrong one. I ended up buying one from Citroen for £70, I had to because the old one wasn't sealing properly.

On the most recent service I bought the complete fuel filter housing, oil and air filters and oil from Citroen and it came to £116.

I normally change the fuel filter element with the oil at 5k. Changing the entire housing at 37 or 40k isn't a bad idea and reasonably affordable at that frequency.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I change the element in my filter housing. If you get the part from GSF there's pipe bungs included so I remove the whole lot and clean and change the filter on the bench. I'm doing my own servicing so I can take my time to ensure it's spotless. I don't see much difference than working on the hydraulic valves, take your time and keep it clean.

Steve.
not applicable
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thats good to know then as I may well try her on B100 so it will flush all the crud out of the fuel system gained over 225k miles of normal dino and will easily need changing and at least to keep a spare incase i get the dreaded blocked filter symptoms....

God ill miss working on the nice easy 1.9td but then again ill get more power and economy from the hdi and space in the back as well :D
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is there a guide online or anywhere with pictures at all?
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I just went by the Haynes BOL. I suppose you could get a spare from a scrapyard, clean it thoroughly, pop in a filter and keep it in the back of the car in a sealed bag then if the filter does block you can change the whole lot. Changing the element at the roadside isn't recommended.

Another 'good idea' would be to add an additional filter, say one from the VW range this should catch any particles if the lift pump breaks up.

Steve.
not applicable
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

You mean an inline filter?

With my going onto bio with her may see about installing one of those heated filters from another vehicle and plumbing that in.

Do all Xantia HDi's have that auxilary heater the uses diesel to heatup the cabin, like a webasto in the passenger side wing? or was it only Exclusives?