Xantia electrical system gremlin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mkelly1
My Cars:

Xantia electrical system gremlin

Post by mkelly1 »

Strange events with my 1996 Xantia 2.0i. Over the space of a few months I experienced what seemed to be unrelated electrical faults:
1) Chattering blinker relay - infuriating inside the car but blinker lamps not affected. Does it for a week at a time, then gives me a break for a while. Replacing the blinker switch made no difference.
2) About once a week, the ventilation fan does not operate at all, on any setting, but nothing else is affected. Okay next time ignition is turned on.
3) About once a month, the radio/cassette just doesn't come on at all with the ignition switch, but the backlit display is on. This persists for about a week and then all is okay again.
I have checked all fuses and relays to no avail. Eveything else electrical in the car seems to work perfectly 100% of the time!
All suggestions welcome.
Michael
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Michael,
The ignition switch carries all the current for the fan, and is known to not be up to the job. I strongly suspect that yours is going duff, and will need changing. Not sure if you can get/build one to match your existing key, or if you have to change all the locks. Others will advise, I'm sure.
Richard
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

Michael,
I have a 1995 car in Perth, WA, with related matters......
Intermittent clicking of a relay, stopped intermittently by wiggling the indicator switch. Infuriating. I gather these switches are a bit prone to this and hoped that replacing mine if it got worse would fix it. Hmm. Maybe not. Maybe your replacement is dud too? Can happen. Have you spoken directly to the PSA concessionaires in Sydney?
I've been told there is a "semi-official" fix for the ignition switch issue, as Citroen have to some extent acknowledged the switch isn't up to the job. My local French car service man is close to getting the exact details but it seems a relay on the ventilator fan circuit is the go. We're just not sure yet exactly where in the circuit to put the relay to conform with the "official" fix.
I had the wiring loom section that includes the ignition switch replaced under warranty, and the old one was pretty ugly in one set of contacts - it's a strange rotary device that attaches to the back of the ignition lock. Somehow they missed the opportunity to make it more expensive by integrating it with the lock!!!
I've not had the radio-cassette problem.
I'll try and remember to post when we've sorted the relay position out, probably late March or early April, as I've some away work coming up.
Cheers
JohnW
mkelly1
My Cars:

Post by mkelly1 »

Thank you Richard and John,
Very helpful suggestions I will follow up. I got all 3 problems today in just 2 x 30km trips!!
Michael
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnW</i>

Michael,
I have a 1995 car in Perth, WA, with related matters......
Intermittent clicking of a relay, stopped intermittently by wiggling the indicator switch. Infuriating. I gather these switches are a bit prone to this and hoped that replacing mine if it got worse would fix it. Hmm. Maybe not. Maybe your replacement is dud too? Can happen. Have you spoken directly to the PSA concessionaires in Sydney?
I've been told there is a "semi-official" fix for the ignition switch issue, as Citroen have to some extent acknowledged the switch isn't up to the job. My local French car service man is close to getting the exact details but it seems a relay on the ventilator fan circuit is the go. We're just not sure yet exactly where in the circuit to put the relay to conform with the "official" fix.
I had the wiring loom section that includes the ignition switch replaced under warranty, and the old one was pretty ugly in one set of contacts - it's a strange rotary device that attaches to the back of the ignition lock. Somehow they missed the opportunity to make it more expensive by integrating it with the lock!!!
I've not had the radio-cassette problem.
I'll try and remember to post when we've sorted the relay position out, probably late March or early April, as I've some away work coming up.
Cheers
JohnW

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
mark bedford
My Cars:

Post by mark bedford »

Clicking relay [:(!]got the same problem on my 96 XM. Wiggle the switch a bit and it calms down for a while.
Add also beeping warning that the boot is open, squealing brakes and bouncy rear spheres. Who needs a radio? (Display gone anyway)Oh and stuck sunroof, speedo that only works when slowing down or coasting, strange oil leak that I cant find,............ The list goes on. Thats before I start on the wifes Xantia and the spare XM!!!!!.
Maybe time for a new topic to go with how many cars have we had, 'Current list of Jobs to do'
Had the ignition problem on my 88 BX but mine also affected the wipers and would swich them off when it felt like it. fun on the M3
Mark