Which manual off ebay?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Which manual off ebay?

Post by Napoleon »

Ok, so I'd like to do a bit of reading (OFFLINE!) to familiarise myself with some terminology/part identification of the Xantia, but a search of the ebay listings brings up a couple of manuals, one is the Haynes one, and the other seems to be a 'shop manual'.

Can one be recommended above the other?

Or are both loo paper? :?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Haynes around here is called the Book of Lies (BoL) and that describes it fairly accurately Tim :lol: Get one though as it'll give you a good overview but do accept it's not always the gospel truth and the BoL shies away from telling you the stuff you really want and need to know. It's all a bit superficial really although, as I say, it contains some useful stuff and is an essential companion to have.

All the BoL gaps are filled on here. A search of the forum will almost always come up with the answer you need and if not, it's an odds on bet someone on here knows the answer. Ask away as much as you need..

By "shop manuals" I guess you mean the pukka Citroen workshop manuals. These come in a multitude of thick binders (I have an incomplete set that stretches to seven binders) and they are not really a good DIY guide as they assume the reader to be a fully Citroen trained automotive engineer. They also go for quite a lot of money on eBay.

If you speak a little French the very best are the "Revue Technique" and these can be got hold of in France quite easily, I even saw one for the diesel Xantia in the big Carrefour in Calais last time I was there. They are excellent and they publish different ones for different models of Xantia rather than the BoL which tries and fails to cover all models in one book.

There are others and some are available as downloads (questionable legality).

A really great manual that covers (amongst other things) the hydraulics in great detail but in a very digestible way can be found here It's a big PDF and well worth printing and enjoying as a bed time read.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

What can I say?

I am clearly at the thin edge of the great Citroen Cheese Wedge of Information.

Going to get a Haines (deliberate) manuel (topical) and peruse.

I have hardly seen the car in daylight, so really need some time with it to assess.

Out of very mildly passing interest... you sell a car and so you empty it of all the crappy stuff you have in it (shiney sunshield, toys, junk) and put it into a carrier bag.... you get the new car and tip it into the new car... Sunday morning's job!

Half seriously, Sunday morning is going to be a 'get to know you' game twixt the car and the kids (2.5 + 3.5 y/o).
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've certainly learned a lot more on here than from Haynes. Most of the Xantia is pretty conventional and the unconventional (as well as the conventional) stuff is better documented on here than in Haynes.

Having said that, I've bought a Haynes manual for pretty much every car I've had. It's a habit. :lol:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

reblack68 wrote:I've certainly learned a lot more on here than from Haynes. Most of the Xantia is pretty conventional and the unconventional (as well as the conventional) stuff is better documented on here than in Haynes.

Having said that, I've bought a Haynes manual for pretty much every car I've had. It's a habit. :lol:
Same here except the Xantia was the last one I bought - or didn't as it came with the car, in with the price.

Never got round to one for the Accord, and as for the C5 - I don't think I want to know but there appears to be, as redblack says, more and better information to be found here.

It is sometimes nice to have a book to page through though, keep some Saxa by your chair though.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I've got a copy of the BoL now, and the first thing to strike me is the pretty crummy quality of the paper and the print. Not exactly pin sharp. Anyway, that aside, it's a nice colour.

The Hungarian manual is a very nice print, in contrast, and from what I've read so far, seems easy reading/accessible.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Napoleon wrote:I've got a copy of the BoL now, and the first thing to strike me is the pretty crummy quality of the paper and the print.
As you said eariler Tim - Loo Paper :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

What was also dissappointing was that the BoL looks like it should weigh a fair bit, but when you pick it up you almost fall over backwards as it is much lighter than it looks like it should be!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The paper is designed to absorb as much oil and muck from dirty hands as possible.
Despite the best will in the world it always ends up on the workbench or propped up in the engine bay. :D
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

ive always gone for CD stuff as it stays clean and you can print the data out

this one ir spurious ( I could be wrong though and it might have more than it states ) so email the seller and ask what it does
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-ALL-TIS-W ... 240%3A1318

because its free and all you need is a legit email to get your password and no other personal details need to be filled in

http://service.citroen.com/