The Price Of Diesel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

THELABMAN
My Cars:

The Price Of Diesel

Post by THELABMAN »

Hiya Folks,

I know this old chestnut has been roasted over and over agin in this and many other forums but why on earth when the cost of petrol is slowly falling is the price of diesel going up.

Around where I stay and work, Lanarkshire & Glasgow, the price of petrol has fallen slowly to about 94.9p a litre with a few week back diesel down to about 104.9 but now seems to have gone up to about 107.9 a litre, I don't know about anyone else but I just feel that a 13p a litre difference is sheer greed on the oil companies part.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Find your nearest cash and carry and buy cheaper vegetable oil.
You're driving a 1.9TD, take advantage of the benefits (assuming you have a bosch pump which you should)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Xac says. That'll show 'em! Seriously though, Xac and co. on here have shown that a 1.9TD with a Bosch pump can run very successfully on veg long-term with no real issues.

If you want to go further, WVO (waste Veg Oil) can be used successfully too but this needs basic treatment such as dewatering and filtering before use. Find a cheap or free source of WVO and you're laughing.

Have a bit of a thought for us HDi and 2.1TD owners who can only run on diesel though as you laugh all the way to the bank :(

The high cost of diesel is simply down to supply and demand. Petrol is used only by a tiny minority of us these days and therefore thay have to sell it cheaply to get rid of it. With diesel it's just the opposite. Everyone uses diesel and as a result, they can charge what they like :evil:

The cost of petrol now makes my Activa an economical proposition :D

As Xac has said in the past, why has an enterprising car manufacturer not brought an old-school IDI Diesel (like the XUD9) back into production with a fully mechanical Bosch pump and a bit of development work to enable it to run on veg full-time? That could lead to seriously cheap fuel if it was accepted that biodiesel is a dead-end with it's toxic transesterification and energy-hungry processes and insted concentrate on the much easier and more environmentally-friendly task of treating WVO and having diesel engines designed to run on it. The engine design already exists in the XUD9.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Folks,

I have given the thought of using veggie oil some considerable thought but to be honest with the luck I have had with my Xantia's over the past few years I'd be one of the ones who despite having the correct pump would still end up with a wrecked engine or such like :cry:

At the moment I just feel that everything that can go wrong with your car seems to be happening to me, I've spent hundreds on both of them over the past few years, the Silver LX has just cost me the best part of £500 to get back on the road but to be honest it was still better than buying something else I know nothing about....
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If anything, my girls run better on veg than diesel, I actually loath having to put derv in when I need reciepts for fuel expenses.

DIY sphere tool
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Running my TD on veg was the best thing i ever did, it ran quieter and smoother, and smelt nice too. Shame SVO is still too expensive, we can get diesel at 106.9p here and fuel economy is a bit better on diesel, plus the inconvience of it.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My ZX deff runs better on veg than it does on diesel oil.. But with veg oil now costing about £1-25p per litre in my area (SK) it is no longer a sensible option! :roll: :?
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As you are probably all aware the tax on fuel is set to increase.
I've just had notification from one of the co-founders of PetrolPrices.com that they have opened up a petition to the government decrying the proposed increase in the face of other tax cuts aimed on reducing prices and increasing sales.
it is in this blog if you are interested.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all the road freight is carried on diesel trucks, this relates to what we pay for goods in the shops, the conning politicians tell us they are trying to ease the finacial prob, but still the cost of diesel is more than petrol,

bunch of BBBBBBBBB croocks

were am i ment to store my soap box

regards malcolm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

myglaren wrote:As you are probably all aware the tax on fuel is set to increase.
It should come down a couple of pence on Monday with the VAT cut.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Homer wrote:
myglaren wrote:As you are probably all aware the tax on fuel is set to increase.
It should come down a couple of pence on Monday with the VAT cut.
SHOULD. Whether it will or not remains to be seen...I'm not holding my breath
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I reckon that the increase in duty and the reduction in VAT will nullify one another.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The money market speculators have dropped us in the mire.. :(
People sold thousands of mortgages knowing the statements of incomes on the forms were lies, but they grabbed the comissions while they could, then ran away.. :(
Milions of people borrowed money they can't afford to pay back.. :(

It's not a political problem, it was caused by peoples greed, now prices will go up, jobs will be lost. Things will be tough for a while. We just have to accept that, and plan accordingly. :roll:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:I reckon that the increase in duty and the reduction in VAT will nullify one another.
That's what they've said they're going to do, along with duty increases on spirits.
Course that hits companies more as while they can claim VAT back, they can't claim duty back, so the increase is going to have to be paid by someone, so expect prices all over to remain the same or even go up to compensate.

DIY sphere tool
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Im still on diesel, but i tell you now, if the price of diesel goes any higher then as i am already a victim of redundancy due to the cock up made by "the country" i will start running on SVO.

Dont say the government arent to blame for this, they are the ones who are meant to regulate the regulatory bodies who allow the high street banks etc to do the kind of deals they have done which have landed us in this mess.

It is certainly not the fault of the consumer. If we were all financial advisors then i could accept it as we would know better when we take out deals, but we arent, so we are reliant on what we are told / see on adverts.

Its all greed, as with the price of fuel.....but you have to look at who benefits from these deals, surely isnt the consumer.