Xantia central locking problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuartb
My Cars:

Xantia central locking problem

Post by stuartb »

Hi,
I have a 93 (L) Xantia 1.9TD VSX which seems to be a thief's dream!
When I lock it (either with the 'plip' or the key), the central locking locks the car, then often immediately unlocks it again.
The first time it happened, I thought that maybe a door wasn't shut properly but they all were (and the tailgate etc.)
It seems to be temperature related - If I get the car nicely warmed up, I can lock it and alarm it as normal.
This isn't normally a great problem, until I go to get something from the car in the evening and can't lock it again.
Help please - I'm getting fed up with having to drive it round for 7-8 miles just so I can lock it up again!
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Any ideas?
Thanks.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Usually 2 possibilites:
1) Water in the passenger footwell (either from a leaking heater matrix, or leaking screen scuttle) affecting the alarm ECU (under the passenger seat).
2) Failing solenoid in one of the front doors - if the locking controller doesn't get a signal back to say the door has locked, it unlocks the system again.
I would suspect 2) in your case, since it happens with and without the key. You'll need to take the door panels off and try disconnecting the solenoids in turn to see which one has gone duff.
Richard
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Mine has done this, and I've heard a lot of other people mention it. I think a lot of the time the doorpins get wedged and prevent the door from locking, so the system unlocks again. I fixed mine by spraying a bit of WD40 around the bottom of the lock pins. It hasn't done it again since then. Another fix I've heard of is to give the doors a real good slam.
I'd try both of the above before you start thinking of anything more sinister.
stuartb
My Cars:

Post by stuartb »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.
Being naturally in favour of an easy life, I tried the WD40 method
along with operating the locking system repeatedly.
It hasn't failed since then but of course it's very early days yet.
It also isn't as cold today as it has been, so the problem may come
back if/when the temperature drops again!
Thanks again.