206over revving and stalling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ian.denne

206over revving and stalling

Post by ian.denne »

I have a T reg 206, I have a problem, usually when idling at lights etc. sometimes the revs shoot up to about 3000rpm and sometimes they drop right off and the engine stalls. This will happen for a couple of days and then not occur for two or three weeks. Has anyone got any ideas, I would be most grateful
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What engine Ian?

I'm guessing a petrol. If so, the Idle Control Valve is the prime suspect. Have it off, clean it with carb cleaner and likely it'll behave itself then.

It may only be a short-term cure and a new one might be needed eventuallly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ian.denne

Post by ian.denne »

Citrojim, thanks for the reply. It's a 1400 petrol. where do I find the Idle Control valve. I've had a chat with a mechanic at a garage and they have an identical car in at the moment with the same problem. Is this a common fault with this type of car? Regards
ian.denne

Post by ian.denne »

Problem seemed to escalate today, the engine went dead as I was travelling at 60mph. Had to dis-engage the clutch and re-engage to bump start it. Travelled about 50 miles since with no problems at all