Will XM hubs fit a Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Will XM hubs fit a Xantia?

Post by addo »

Curious; I realise the stud pattern differs but wasn't sure how interchangeable they might otherwise be. Anyone tried this?

I saw some XM rims that were rather like Activa wheels, and thought it may be an easy way to get the six inch alloy wheels compared to sourcing Activa parts...

Regards, Adam.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Well, you're right!

The Xm rims whilst almost wearing identical tyres in some instances,
have x5 wheel studs whereas the Xantia has x4.

They can share the same wheel trims and later s2 Xm's wear a trim that
looks (OK, just a bit!!;)) like Activa rims... :lol:

Andrew
deian

Re: Will XM hubs fit a Xantia?

Post by deian »

addo wrote: I saw some XM rims that were rather like Activa wheels, and thought it may be an easy way to get the six inch alloy wheels compared to sourcing Activa parts...
Are you sure the six inch wheel off the bigger car will fit the xantia?

:P
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

XM trims might fit a xant as long as they are not held inplace by the wheel studs/bolts, also if they are both 15inch rims

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

PSA have a funny arrangement here; Peugeot are handled by a completely different mob to Citroën.

One spinoff from this, is wheel trims. Many more Pug models came with hubcaps, whereas Citroëns seemed to frequently have alloy wheels. It's the real alloy rims that I refer to. Not hubcaps.

I note the XM V6s came with 288×28mm vented discs, albeit in five lug. Can one swap the wheel hub (ie; that which the bearing races reside in) from an XM to a Xantia? The bearing list I have (from service.citroën), doesn't give empirical sizings - just P/Ns.

Regards, Adam.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hub swaps are one way to get round the problem but you need to check the similarity of the driveshafts. A look on a parts website should tell you this. Dont forget though that a hub swap will need a disc swap and potentially a caliper carrier swap if disc sizes differ to much.

What you have to weight up is whether its cost effective or if you want to go to those lengths to run XM rims...

Alot of the VW boys do hub swaps, some are easy and some are nightmares.... :?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:PSA have a funny arrangement here; Peugeot are handled by a completely different mob to Citroën.

One spinoff from this, is wheel trims. Many more Pug models came with hubcaps, whereas Citroëns seemed to frequently have alloy wheels. It's the real alloy rims that I refer to. Not hubcaps.

I note the XM V6s came with 288×28mm vented discs, albeit in five lug. Can one swap the wheel hub (ie; that which the bearing races reside in) from an XM to a Xantia? The bearing list I have (from service.citroën), doesn't give empirical sizings - just P/Ns.

Regards, Adam.
Most people would prefer to have an alloy wheel over a steel rim with a bit of trim, therefore it's strange that PSA who seem to have pushed Peugeot more so in the past, (that seems to be changing now though) equipped the Peugeots with a more basic wheel, on what they viewed then as their premium brand.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ah yes - but there's money to be made by persuading customers to pay extra for alloys - so while they were an option Peugeot probably supplied a significant number of cars with them already fitted and expected the customer to pay for them or the dealer to use them as an incentive to persuade the customer to buy a particular car.

XM driveshafts could have the same ends as Xantia ones - but are they the same length - if not they will have different part numbers.

These people can supply joints only and you may be able to use their site for cross referencing.

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk
jeremy