xantia 1.9td starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bongo

xantia 1.9td starting problems

Post by bongo »

93 xantia 1.9 td 110000 miles poor start up first thing in morning then ok rest of day suspect air leak replaced all pipes but when pumping primer it never goes solid does anyone know if the valve at the bottom of the fuel filter housing is a one way valve and it could be draining back to tank any suggestions welcome because its driving me nutttttttttttttttts
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

The fuel primer should be hard after 4/5 pressings.It suggests to me that your fuel is draining back to your tank overnight.Try parking on different slopes,if possible, or on level groung and see if this makes a difference. An air leak cannot be ruled out tighten all fuel joints, and if that does not help cover (gradually) all hose joints from tank to pump with grease-this should indicate to you where you have air entering.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

As you can see I'm having the same problem. now that i seem to have ruled out the glow plugs I am going to put on clear fuel hose so I'll be able to see if it's draining away from the pump over time. you could try bypassing the existing filter & putting in one of the clear in line filters. this will rule in or out a problem with the housing.
Let me know how you get on if you try any of the above. I'll do the same.