Pump overhaul successful!! one more issue though....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Pump overhaul successful!! one more issue though....

Post by lazza »

Dear All

Firstly thanks very much to Jim and the others. My pump seems to be working perfectly after following the instructions on citrojim´s website. Chuffed about that. :D

However, although i am nearly certain that I didnt alter the cambelt´s timing during the operation, the engine makes a high-pitched rattling sound. Particularly when cold and when accelerating..

It´s not bad and sounds a bit like an old tractor (as my girlfriend so kindly pointed out :x )... but am concerned that something is not quite right.

I know it´s hard to describe a sound, but anyone have any ideas what it could be and how i could fix it?

cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe you have over tentioned the cam belt, once fitted and tentioned you should be able to twist the long front straight of belt a quarter of a turn on it's width sideways, between finger and thumb
regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

water pump.
they don't like the belt being disturbed if they're a bit old.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Did you mark the pump position & re- fit it in the same position ? You might need to loosen the mounting nuts on the pump & tweak it a little till it sounds right.
I once had a similar problem after refitting an XUD pump, engine rattling, knew it had to be timing, after triple checking the cam,crank & pump pulley settings & adjusting the pump timing both ways it still would rattle, after taking the pump back off I found the woodruff key had dropped off the pump spindle when re fitting it into the pulley which knocked the timing out even though it was pegged up correctly. found the woodruff key & re fitted, problem solved.
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Hi

I never actually removed the cambelt, i left the pump sprocket on, although there's always a possibility i made an error along the way.

I was thinking maybe the injection timing is way too advanced, in that with the leaky pump, the original position was positioned too far forward.... would this cause the "rattle"?

Larry
Living in exile in Spain
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If it was advanced then yes, loosen the 4 pump nuts/bolts just enough to let the pump move, start the engine & slowly move the pump & see if the noise goes away.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done Larry :D

Classic over-advanced timing...

I agree Wheeler, The woodruff key just loves to jump out when getting the pump back on to the sprocket when it's held on the timing pins. It's so unfortunate that the right spot coincides with a pump compresion point :twisted:

I'll almost wager the key is not in place and the pump is solely driving on the friction of the shaft taper.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Larry,

When you replaced the timing device cover seals, did you get the springs back in correctly, particularly the small washers on this inner spring? There is a chance, if these are assembled wrongly, that the pump might get stuck on full advance.

Pictures of the device here.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Hi Guys

thanks as ever for all your advice.

I played around with the pump yesterday and it was fully advanced, and the rattling gets much more pleasant to the ear the more I retarded the pump. Sounds more like a normal Ind Inj diesel now.. i think :? . I´ve got it in a good spot at the mo, although it doesnt start as quite as pertly and i expect i'll have to advance it a bit again when i swtich to veggie oil.

I´d be surprised if it is the woodruff key as i kept looking through the back of the sprocket while i was putting it back on to make sure it was going in correctly.

The automatic timing advance for fast-idle seems to work too.

Taking it on a longer run today.. wish me luck 8-[

Cheers
Larry
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Larry,

Yes, that's exactly what I do when dealing with the woodruff key!

Again, a real good effort!

Now the timing is reset, it'll be good...
Jim

lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Well, it seems to all be working fine now :D !

So I thought I'd try to give a little back, with some tips to assist anyone else like me who one day may be looking to do the same.

1. A digital camera is your best friend. I took pics at everystage, which allowed me always a reference point. This was particularly helpful as in some cases i messed up the marking and it allowed me to retrace my steps to return the parts to their correct position.

2. Always have a set of replacement screws/bolts handy from a local Bosch/or other supplier. The heads go very easy on these TX bolts, and I lost many days waiting to get hold of replacements.

3. More specific points that could be added to the instructions if Jim sees fit:

a) When reinserting the throttle assembly, only insert the throttle shaft partially into its hole before ensuring that the governor spring on the throttle linkage (horizontal part) sits in its slot in the fuel delivery regulator lever. Then once correctly inserted, the throttle shaft can be fully inserted. This I found made the reassembly easier.

b) For the Distribution Head reassembly. Getting the spigots of the two rods into their holes whilst keeping both the small springs in place and ensuring the fuel delivery metering ring is engaged on the throttle plate dowel... is a real :evil: . What worked for me was to actually insert (with a tiny bit of grease) the spigots of the rods into their holes on the distribution head beforehand, whilst keeping its washers in place etc. Then I inserted the end of the rods into the large springs, and then slowly introduced the whole head (tilting the pump slightly in favour of the dowel for the metering ring).. this guides the rods into the springs without disturbing the rest of the mechanism.

Well hope this may be of assistance ....

I´m sure I will be in touch with more problems shortly :D... have a few suspension issues

Cheers & Muchas Gracias
Larry
Living in exile in Spain
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Larry,

That's brilliant :D

I will be very happy to update my website with your incredibly valuable tips and I'll give full credit to you on there.

I did do the rotor head guide very quickly and yes, I know what a :twisted: getting it all back together is :lol: That's an excellent method you've developed :D
Jim