xm head

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marski
My Cars:

xm head

Post by marski »

9 months ago a brand new cylinder head was fitted to my 2.5td and i've had no problems until recently when i noticed pressure leaking from the header tank.i fitted a new cap -same result.on tickover some large air bubbles are appearing and i am now losing some water[no leaks].temperature seems to be normal during daily running.please someone give me an answer, any answer except the one i am dreading.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

IT COULD BE AIR IN THE SYSTEM TRY BLEEDING IT. OR FROM WHAT YOU SAY I WOULD SUSPECT EITHER A HEAD GASKET PROBLEM OR HEAD PROBLEM.
marski
My Cars:

Post by marski »

thanks citman. before i do that i will completely flush and clean every inch of the cooling system but deep down i don't think i'll get off as lightly as that.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Before going to any expense in the head department. Try a test which has been mentioned in other posts regarding removing the radiator cap with the engine cold and listen for any hissing. Then replace the cap, start the engine and run it for couple of minutes, then switch and remove the cap and listen for hissing. Not pressure should have built up in that amount of time. If it has you know waht im thinking.
marski
My Cars:

Post by marski »

tried that citman,the hissing nearly deafened me. oh well here we go again.the last time the local garage replaced the head,this time i will do the job properly myself. one further point,are porous heads and blocks a thing of the past in citroen's history?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Marski,
Can't say too much about the XM but I do know that it was a strict rule with the BX diesels that the radiator be checked for flow rate whenever a head gasket/cracked head job was done.
Anything below 60% was considered unacceptable. I can see no reason why this should not also apply to XMs. This may be why the last job didn't last. You obviously are aware of the replacing the stretch type head bolts (when you see them in the flesh this isn't hard to understand)
As regards your other posting relating to the amount of parts Andys carry, I saw another posting on General Chat on this forum from Anders and the answer given by Jon Wood. Check it up as I think you'll find they have most of the bits you need on hand; placing an order & waiting for their response of what is/not available is often the quickest option.
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think its T55 IIRC, spotted this site doing Stanley tools some time ago, posted a link to it, go to the bottom of the page for the torx set.
My 1/4 drive socket set is made by Stanley and though expensive for its size it has never faultered and its had some pain on.
If I didn't allready have a torx set this is the one I would go for.
I would keep away from Draper and Sealey, had a Sealey set not too long ago and had to send it back, bloody things were made of cheese.
You are going to need an angle tightening gauge aswell if the procedure is anything like the 1.9 xud.
Dave
http://www.raitechnical.com/socketsets.htm
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Yikes,
I've got a 2.5TD too, and I don't like these stories.
Also cam and followers can wear rapidly due to poor spec hardening in manufacture.
FWIW it's the same head in the Cit C25 light commercial range. May be a cheaper route for an exchange head.
rg
marski
My Cars:

Post by marski »

thanks to you all for the info,i will act on what i can until i can get the head off in april.two further questions,RG,are you sure that the two heads are identical especially with citroens reputation of changing things halfway through a run? and DAVE,i found the stanley site and wasn't sure of what i was seeing.the torx set that was showing on the bottom of the page,didn't reveal if it was female sockets as well as male bits any more info?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

With regards to the bolts & what is required to remove & replace, Jon Wood answered a question regarding this a little while back & from memory there are some occasions where the male heads are replaced by female.
If this applies in your case it may pay to see which type are fitted & physically see what will be used to replace them, rather than work on the assumption of a spare parts guy that they will be the same as I think that's how th last guy got caught.
BTW, I think you'll find T55 is fairly standard as regards size.
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the torx size has the "T" prefix then the tool is male, if the prefix is "E" then it is a star socket, so the set in question is all male.
Another company doing both types in the same set are Franklin tools of sheffield, but I think it unlikely that you will find much use for star sockets.
Dave