ZX diff seal Q

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UserError
My Cars:

ZX diff seal Q

Post by UserError »

Hi,
Just putting the RH driveshaft back. Have replaced the diff seal (Elring) whilst the engine was out. Quetsion is, the seal has a ring of white teeth, which I thought might be lip protectors, howerver before offering up the shaft, I gave it a tug & it seems firmly attached. Elring describe it thus: (Inner Diameter: 29,85 mm, Outer Diameter: 47 mm, Width: 11,3 mm, Radial Shaft Seal Design: ASW, Swirl Type: Right-hand Twist, Material: ACM (Polyacrylate), Dust Cover: With dust lip)

Not had much experience of oil seals like this - anyone know if this is a permanent protector or do I tug harder?

Cheers
Jonathan
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That ring of white teeth is completely normal and part of the seal. I'm at a loss to know exactly what its function is but virtually all BE3 RH driveshaft seals seem to have them.

It might still be a lip protector as they are most often seen on the RH seal which is the one most likely to suffer damage when replacing a driveshaft...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
UserError
My Cars:

Diff seal

Post by UserError »

Jim
Thanks for your timely answer I can put the hab back together now.
Jonathan
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have always thought it to be a giude for the shaft

regards malcolm