Xantia 1.9TD Glow Plug Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wandsworthian
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Glow Plug Replacement

Post by Wandsworthian »

<font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'>
I am one stage behind Pete Woods with regard to starting of the diesel engine, which is poor when cold in my case. I feel the urge to replace the glow plugs to restore efficient starting, but cannot for the life of me see an easy way to do it. Diesel pumps and fixed pipes appear to obstruct the ease of removal of these small items. Am I being dense, or is there an easy way to get at the glow plugs? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks
Rob A.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

No you are not being dense but it looks worse than it is (You will get used to saying that to yourself as you work on a Xantia!!)
take off the plastic ducting that curves over the top of the engine. it is held at both ends with jubilee clips. there are also a couple of metal brackets that hold the ducting steady, unbolt these as well.
the rest of the ducting can be undone where it goes into a rubber pipe behind the radiator and there is just about enough play for it to be wiggled out of the way without undoing it at the turbo end.
I also removed the bit of inch pipe the runs next to the fuel filter housing.
This gave reasonable access to 3 of the glowplugs & changing them was straight forward & took about 40 min.
At this point I must confess that I was running out of time so I still have the one behind the pump to do. however 3 brand new ones made bugger all difference & if they were the problem I'd have expected at least a little improvement.
Good luck
Pete