Xantia - wheel bearing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia - wheel bearing?

Post by RichardW »

Last week my wife kerbed the car (at some speed) 95 TD. Now we have what sounds like a noisy front wheel bearing (may or may not be connected!). Anybody come across this before, or any thoughts on what else could possibly make this type of noise (I've checked the obvious - nothing touching anywhere etc. Noise is continuous, although not really audible below 30mph, but LOUD above that, not affected by drive / overrun or engine in / out of gear. Jacked it up but couldn't feel any roughness or play in the bearing.
Just wondering of someone's got a story about these, and the wheel bearing is not the way to go (have to pay someone to do this as short on time and sockets for the hub nut, ball joint splitters and hydrualic presses!), and it turns out to need a new driveshaft, or gearbox, or car.....
Cheers
Richard
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It does sound very much like a wheel bearing, it had this type of noise on my Xantia when the nsf bearing was on the way out.
Mine only started doing it after a BT Transit van hit the side of the car on a roundabout, the ns wheel took all the impact - enough to burst the tyre, knock the wheel out of shape and bend the wishbone!, but the bearing only started to get noisey about 6k miles later.
Nick
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Check your drop link-bar (the bar connecting the suspension to the Anti-Roll bar. I had a similar problem that almost drove me insane.
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi Richard,
I had a similar problem a couple of years back, on a '93 Xantia, which was diagnosed as a front o/s bearing, by a long serving local mechanic (non Citroen) just by him sitting in the pass seat and listening, while I drove for a couple of miles. This was after a long running 'saga' of trying to establish the cause of the noise by myself and others with various tactics. It could have been a 'lucky shot', but there is no substitute for experience. Worth a try.
Lozian.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Just for info - new driver's side wheel bearing fitted (not by me![:I]) yesterday which has silenced the noise. Curious, as I was sure it was passenger side - quietening down on LH bends. Will store that info for future diagnosis. Was all rusty and knackered, so Wife is pleased that it wasn't her fault [:D]. Reportedly goes a bit better as well [8D]
Richard