Removing and replacing engine cooling fans on a Xsara HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Removing and replacing engine cooling fans on a Xsara HDI

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hello again to all on here!

Right then...I now have a set of second hand cooling fans for A/C and engine, complete with cowling etc.

Now all i have to do is fit them, and hope my previously mentioned problems disappear!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how best to tackle this job...? Is it a bumper off job, which i suspect it is, and if so do you know how best to remove the bumper without damaging it, or any mounting points on the body??

It has fog lights if that makes any diffference.

Do you know if you have to remove the radiators (A/C and coolant) to do this, or can they be left alone??

Any help would be very appreciated!!

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Rob glad you have got your new set of fans just dont forget to check they work before you go delving into the removal process :lol: :lol:

I have changed the whole cowling/fan assembly on my Xantia but that was part of a major overhaul that entailed both bumper slam panel and a few ancillaries off as well :twisted: :twisted:

I would strongly suggest you go down the route off removing / replacing just the fans themselves as this saves a lot of hassle in routing the existing wiring into the new cowling and tis not much play in it :) :)
If you can remove the front grille you should have just enough room to undo the retaining nuts and bolts and jiggle the fans out although this will mean you have to remove the blades first and the screw is LEFTHAND thread so undoes the wrong way :) :)

The plugs are a bit of a tight fit :evil: :evil: so have a good look at the new ones to see where/how they connect :D :D

If you do decide to go down the remove everything road then i think i have some pics of how the A/C condensor can be undone and moved slightly to give a bit more space :wink: :wink:

Whilst your at it have a good look for leaves/debris stuck between the rads and fans surprising just how much muck gets trapped down there :lol: :lol:

Colin