xantia discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

xantia discs

Post by john alexander »

Hi I need new front discs for my 1.9 TD xantia estate , I measured the old ones and reckon they are 283mm but when checking the brembo site found a listing of 288mm as well , can anyone enlighten me , its a p reg by the way. regards john .
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

don't know about the disk size buy minimum thickness is 20mm on the estate from 1998 onward and 18.4mm pre 1998
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I think the 288mm ones are standard and only the activa, v6 and 2.1td use bigger discs and pads...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

266 is the 'normal size fitted to most hatchbacks. 283 fitted to estates and higher power hatchbacks. 288 only fitted to V6 in MK1 form; fitted to all MK 2 HDi 110 and V6, and 2.0 CT and 2.1 TD after RP 8001.

There have been stories of hatches fitted with 283 discs and estates fitted with 266s though. Check before you have reached the point of no return!!
Richard W
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

When i had my Xantia, needed to get the front brake disks and pads replaced.

Had to go to a citroen main dealer for mine and to my surprise they were cheaper than any where else for them.

The biggest shock came from the fact my Vin number identified that i needed the larger V6 disks on mine, it was only a 1997/98 hatch back and only a 1.9td at that.

If i had got the smaller ones based on my model they would not have fit into the callipers and the pads wouldn't of been doing a decent job of things due to the different design

Best thing to do is check with the local main dealer against your Vin number as it lists everything that was standard on your car including the size of the disks.

Me and citrojim were in agreement that they must of been running out of standard stuff in the parts department for my car when they put it together.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just double check the size on your car then give GSF a call, they also stock brembo

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Being up for estate pads and rotors shortly (standard size Ø283×22 thick) - is there any merit in chasing down the larger calipers? Or are they one of those things that's sought, but not really needed?

Thanks, Adam.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Addo,

All the calipers on the front of Xantias are the same, except for later MK2 using the Bosch system.

The only thing that changes is the caliper carrier and size of disc/rotor, so to upgrade a saloon's brakes, you can nab the discs and carriers of an estate, especially the 2.0i as this had 283mm discs.

Handyman
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

TehAgent wrote:The biggest shock came from the fact my Vin number identified that i needed the larger V6 disks on mine, it was only a 1997/98 hatch back and only a 1.9td at that.
Yes my 97 Xantia 1.9TD had that size too. GSF had already supplied me with some 266 disks and I only found they were wrong after I'd had to wallop the old ones numerous times with a hammer to get them off, and were well beyond re-fitting! Had to borrow my mum's Corsa for the 40 mile round trip to exchange the disks.

I had a similar problem recently when they supplied an auxiliary belt for my Xsara which was slightly too long and wouldn't tension properly.
Still, it makes you really appreciate getting back into a Citroen when you've driven a 15 year old Corsa diesel for an hour!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Handyman - I didn't express myself very clearly. :oops: It's an early '99 estate, and "service.citroen" provided the disc size based on my VIN.

I looked up the caliper part numbers and the CT type calipers have a different suffix - so I assumed they were more different that just a bracket.

My timeline for servicing the front brakes is within 10-12 weeks, as they are getting well worn. It's why I'm mulling over an upgrade of sorts - the famous "while I'm at it" syndrome!

Regards, Adam.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi there I ordered my discs and pads from AEP ( auto equip pieces) in Glasgow yesterday at 11 am and received them today at 1pm for £64.32 inc delivery.The discs and pads supplied were by VALEO. AEP check against your VIN so hopefully I will have no problems . I priced the parts at GSF £91.64 and EUROCARPARTS £61.74 and I would still have gone to collect them and as anyone who has dealt with EURO in Edinburgh will know they are a complete nightmare. PS AEP trades on ebay as CITROENSERVICES. Regards John.
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I have the big badgers on mine and the last two times I've bought them from Triple A, they've come in a brembo box and cost less than the pads...
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I think the big calipers are also a good bit more money when exchange time comes.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if Triple A supplied BREMBO then they probably got them from GSF in st leonards on sea, so you could almost certainly have got them even cheaper by going direct, if you dont already have it here is there phone No. 01424 855866

regards malcolm
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

There were a number of Xantias supplied with either Brembo or Bosch calipers. This was late in the production run and was primarily on Activas and Exclusive models, the number of cars so supplied was quite small. The caliper, disc, pads and carrier were all different to the more common system. The sweep of the brake pads was significantly larger, so affecting braking performance.

Both my Mk2 Activas were so equipped.

My information was supplied by Malcolm, of the now defunct, M&C Lockwood.

Handyman