Berlingo 2.00 HDi Coolant Temp Sensor.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeteH
My Cars:

Berlingo 2.00 HDi Coolant Temp Sensor.

Post by PeteH »

I have been suffering from the temperature guage going sky high and the STOP sign coming on and then the temp guage drops back to cool and then usually everthing is normal for a week or so. No loss of coolant can be establidhed. I have recently replaced the thermostat but it didn't cure the problem so I am going to change the coolant temperature sender.

Can any-one offer any advice on how to remove and replace the coolant temperature sensor in a 2.00 HDi, I assume its the green socket/plug on the side of the thermostat housing but it is not a 'screw in' type.

Also do you think I am on the right lines for curing the problem?

Thanks in anticipation.
Keep it up!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pete, do the cooling fans come on when the temperature apparantly rockets? Also, along with the stop light, and if you have one, does an over-temperature warning light come on?

Whilst I'm not sure on the Berlingo, there are, on earlier Citroens, three possible culprits. The Green sensor is usualy the Coolant Temperature Sensor for the Engine ECU. Additionally, you may find a blue sensor and its function is usually to operate the gauge. A third Brown sensor may be present and this will be primarilily responsible for operating the cooling fan ECU (the infamous Bitron Unit) and indirectly, the over temperature warning light.

As I say, this may not be the case on the Berlingo but it might just help to narrow it. Check all sensors for bad connections. It's not unknown for them to leak a bit of antifreeze and corrode the connections. I've also known them, when in this state, to fall to bits as soon as you touch them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PeteH
My Cars:

Berlingo Temp Sensor

Post by PeteH »

Thanks for that info Jim, I had purchased a green sensor as this was the one on the themostat housing but as you say maybe its the blue one thats at fault.
I never heard the fan cut in or notice an overtemperature warning light, I will investigate to see If I have a brown sensor etc.
I will also check all terminals for corrosion etc as you suggest.
Will let you know how I get on.
regards,
PeteH
Keep it up!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I'm not sure if its the same on the Berlingo, but on the Xsara 2.0 HDi they seem to have stopped fitting 2-3 seperate sensors and fit just the single sensor in the thermostat housing which feeds the ECU, and it then controls the fans and temp gauge.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It will probably just be a single green sensor, to change it there is a green circlip round it pull this out & the sensor just pulls out, might have to give it a twist & wiggle. there is also a rubber O ring on it, when you remove the sensor it may remain stuck in the housing or come out with the sensor so just make sure it doesent drop out, a little smear of grease on the sensor & O ring will make refitting the new one much easier.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Berlingo 2.00 HDi Coolant Temp Sensor.

Post by JohnD »

PeteH wrote:I have been suffering from the temperature guage going sky high and the STOP sign coming on and then the temp guage drops back to cool and then usually everthing is normal for a week or so. .
My daughter had the same trouble on her Xsara. A change of sensor cured the problem. On the Xsara the sensor is in the end of the head and as Wheeler says, it's held in with a circlip. Better to move the trunking out of the way for access.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
PeteH
My Cars:

Berlingo 2.00HDi Temperature Sender

Post by PeteH »

Thanks everyone for your information and advice. I have just changed the GREEN sensor, I cannot see a BROWN one so hopefully it doesn't have one. The advice re: green circlip was a great help, it was a bit fiddly but easily accomplished.

I have taken it for a test run and it came up to temperature in a smooth manner and stayed there so I hope this has fixed the problem but only the next few weeks will tell.

If it has not worked I will report back.

Many thanks,

Pete H.
Keep it up!
China

Berlingo stop warning.

Post by China »

Hi Pete, how did it go when you replaced the sensor ? We have a 2002 Berlingo HDi and the stop warning light comes on ramdomly at the moment about twice a week. First the stop warning then the temp gauge shoots up to the top and almost immediately comes straight back down again, and the stop warning goes out again. We replaced the thermostat as that was our initial diagnosis but but no joy. Have been looking around the internet for inspiration and you seem to have encountered the same problem. I am just wondering if the new sensor resolved the issue for you ? :?
Citroen Berlingo forte 00 1.9 diesel
Citroen Berlingo desire HDi 02
Citroen Berlingo forte 02 1.9 petrol
PeteH
My Cars:

Hot Berlingo 2.00 HDI

Post by PeteH »

Hi China, I changed the thermostat as you did and still had the problem of the temperature guage going sky high and then down again. I then changed the GREEN temperature sensor, the one in the thermostat housing, and all has been well since then.

That was in Oct last year and I have done abour 4,000 miles since then, and it has not done it again since then. (Tempting fate a bit here, aren't I? Fingers crossed and all that. :) )

Have a go and change your temp sensor and theres a good chance it will cure the problem. Hope this helps,

Pete H
Keep it up!
China

Post by China »

Have been out and purchased a green sensor unit & a blue one just in case !! Will let you know how i get on. Thanks
Citroen Berlingo forte 00 1.9 diesel
Citroen Berlingo desire HDi 02
Citroen Berlingo forte 02 1.9 petrol