Camshaft & Valve positioning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Camshaft & Valve positioning

Post by MikeT »

When I removed the head, the engine was set to align the locking bolts. I've since removed the head and lost the camshaft/valve position. I think the Haynes manual can help me there but I haven't studied it yet, it's in the car. Anyone know a quicker way?

I think there's a photo of how the pistons are but like I said, they're at the position needed to lock the pulleys etc - both outer pistons up, middle two down.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

For Cassy, we removed the cam from the head, timed the pump and crank, then re-fitted the cam using the timing hole and bolt.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Xac wrote: re-fitted the cam using the timing hole and bolt.
I'd forgotten the bolt holes are in the head so I just need to refit the cam pulley and line them up! :oops: Cheers for the reminder xac.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

and the flywheel locking pin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even if you have the cam set at the right place, it sometimes pays to have the pistons just a tad off TDC untill the head is back on, then just remember which direction you rotated the crack, to make sure you rotate it back the opposite direction till the pin goes into the flywheel

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

I would also check the crank is in the right position. As said, with the cam and pump, you cannot go wrong. Line up the timing holes and job done.

I may be talking rubbish here but when I last did a cambelt on a TU engine I had to retime it from scratch. I found the flywheel had four timing holes in it, 90 degrees apart :o

I'm not saying the XUD is the same but I have a nagging feeling it does have at least two. I recall needing to find the hole on one occasion and was surprised to find one where I did not expect it to be.

Have a look at the cam and it's relationship to valves when it is timed up and check the pistons are in the right places.

It will be very prudent to spin the engine gently with injectors out after the head goes back on just to check the timing is right. If it comes to a metallic stop at any point in its rotation, it's wrong!

Malcolm, that's a good tip to have the pistons just off TDC when initially fitting the head!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

its a pity he doesn't have an email address I could have sent images of how to do it from my stupid autodata software as someone said?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TBONE wrote:its a pity he doesn't have an email address I could have sent images of how to do it from my stupid autodata software as someone said?
PM him. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to reveal his email address so you can send him the data!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Some good suggestions there, thanks for the prompting and I certainly will lower the top pistons first. I just wanted to get the right angle dangle of the valves first as it'll be a might difficult if I'm in the wrong quarter when it's bolted down.

But I'm a long way of timing the belt yet, I've had a few setbacks today but I'll update the blog once I've gotten my dinner.

TBONE, I'd be most grateful, expect a PM shortly.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

not sure if this will work but worth a try

http://www.flipdrive.com/flipdrive.php

edit* nop that was a fail :evil:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the cranck is nay a prob even if there is more than one pin hole????,

you can get it almost spot on by whatching the sprocket end woodruff key when it gets to about 12 oclock, just set it so the rear edge of the woodruf key is in line the front edge of the small raised block in the castting just above the crack sprocket, then you will find you might just have to rock the crank very slightly to locate the timming pin in flywheel,

easy peasy

also NEVER NEVER SPIN ENGINE WITH STARTER TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE ANY CONTACT BETWEEN VALVES AND PISTONS,

ALWAYS TURN GENTLY WITH A SOCKET ON CRANCK PULLY BOLT TWO COMPLETE TURNS, AND NEVER FORCE PAST ANY TIGHTNES

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

How would I rotate the crank back if it's gone past the locking point? No doubt I'll find a way but it's not obvious to me right now.
TBONE
My Cars:

Post by TBONE »

if its set up right there is no need to rotate it backward which is what your not supposed to do "listen to citrojim" that's very good advice, from what I gather your having problems lining the teeth up on the cams for the belt to line up? as I said if its set up right this should not be a problem
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

In general Mike, If you slip past the timing hole, it's best to carry on rotating another revolution.
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I thought Malcolm inferred it could be backed up a bit - sounds safer than spinning the crank 360 degrees, that's all.