307 not starting!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dal
My Cars:

307 not starting!!!

Post by dal »

Hi I am new to this forum - my frustration with the continous problems i am facing with my 307 HDi LX AC 1.4 diesel (2002) has lead me to join a forum for advice and asistance

the car does not start sometimes but i can normally jump start and this does the trick - battery and level is fine - now the car does not start but a clicking noise can be heard in glove box and central locking button on dash is flashing - this problem only occured sometimes but now it's getting worse.

Also when i drive th car sometimes there is a sudden and intermittant power failure - this seems more like a electrical problem rather than mechanical.

Also - sometimes the doors do not lock, stop light appears randomly on display, boot lid will not open.

i have done reserach on the forums and i have been advised this may be due to starter live not working/ starter solniod sticking

plz help asap
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thing to check would be the batterey terminals for a good conection, also the NEGATIVE battery lead where it is attatched to the gear box,

as it starts with a JUMP it has got to be a bad conection,low battery or starter brushes on there last legs

but as you say you get other itermitent electrical faults that would rule out starter brushes, unless you have more that one fault

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: unless you have more that one fault
Possibly all related. A bad connection that causes a big drop in supply voltage to the car's electronics can cause all sorts of seemingly random and unrelated electrical symptoms.

I'm with you Malcolm, duff connections as the first, duff battery second (failing to do the business when called upon to provide the necessary heavy starting current) and thirdly, the starter motor itself.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dal
My Cars:

thank you

Post by dal »

thanks for the info - i have tried all i can save for the starter brushes as i
do not know where these are located - still same problem

it only starts with a jump from my van!!!!

PS - can i check negative lead connection to gearbox myself
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the starter brushes are in the starter motor,

and yes yo cann check the negative battery lead, follow the thick cable from the neg (minnus) battery terminal t the gear box, even if its tight loosen it give it a wiggle and re/tighten it

regards malcolm