Tales of a C3, a Goddess and some BMW's.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

KP wrote:Dickie there is a Hatchback non-HDi close to you for a decent amount of cash that could have some work done to it with your skills and server you well maybe? less complex than a HDi too :)
Hmm, thanks but I was really after an estate for the additional room in the boot for general lugging about, HDi's don't frighten me as I have a Lexia and a number of useful new/used spares if necessary for substitute testing and HDi 110's don't suffer turbo lag like my TD.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Its a shame you had a wasted trip to view that very nice looking Xantia. Just shows that pictures dont give you the full condition of a car! Ive been in that situation a good few times, ive done many miles driving around the country looking at 'immaculate' cars which turned out to be scrappers.

I went to see a Xantia HDi Exclusive late last year, a couple of hundred mile trip. It was awful, they had it described as a good car, they failed to mention that some panels had been sprayed with a rattle can, the clutch was just about slipping, spheres were knackered, sport suspension didnt have any effect, etc etc. I got offered it for very little money after pointing out the obvious, but it wasnt worth tidying.

Good luck with your search, it does show that Citroens are hard to beat though!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Best of luck Dickie - I spent 15 months searching earnestly for a decent HDi estate 3 years ago before I bought my current one - not even a sniff of an Exclusive - let alone a decent one! Mind you, there are more down your end of the country that there are at mine.

On the BMW can you clear the fault codes then take it for a short drive and look for a first up fault code - or even better watch the live data for the tell tale signs. Mind you the multiplex might hide all sorts of things - or indeed be the fault itself. Modern cars - great when they work, headache when they don't :twisted:
Richard W
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Well a stroke of good luck today as I managed to borrow a Bosch KTS 650 diagnostic computer from work for the evening, wow what a useful bit of kit, for a generic tool it certainly covers a wide range of car's and goes into a reasonable depth on each one as well although Citroen Hydractive suspension isn't on it :lol: mind you bearing in mind that they cost something like £6K they have a right to be good. Its appearance is similar to a Lexia 2 with a touch screen but compared with the operating speed of a Lexia the Bosch is a greyhound as it whizzes through each system very quickly.

Anyway how about this for a bunch of codes caused by a non reading N/S/R ABS sensor, one engine code, two ABS codes, five Gearbox codes and five instrument panel codes :shock: . When I test the faulty sensor individually using a multimeter it checks out OK but when on the vehicle it fails to read the wheel speed, the sensor wasn't dirty or suffering from an extra large airgap so I presume at this stage that the sensor is simply duff so I'll source a new one asap and see whether that sorts the problem out. The great thing about decent diagnostic equipment it can display the readings from each sensor during operation so using ABS as an example I brought up on the screen the live data being recorded from each wheel sensor and discovered that the N/S/R was reading nil whilst the other three were recording the same speed.

It never rains but it pours, when I returned home this evening after picking up my daughter following after school lessons I noticed that my remaining Xantia is making a right old racket when at idle as if some heat shield is rubbing against an engine component, with time being precious this evening I put it up on ramps and had a poke around but couldn't locate the source as I need to remove the undertray to gain full access. As soon as the engine speed picks up beyond 1,000 RPM the noise goes away so at this stage I presume/hope its nothing sinister, oh deep joy at this rate I'll be using the Goddess to get to work soon as my other car's decide to fall apart :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see some progress here Richard, hope the ABS sensor sorts it in short time..

If all the cars fall apart there's a V6 here you are welcome to borrow :wink: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Thanks for the offer Jim, hopefully I'll be able to pick up an ABS sensor today, get it fitted this evening and get the BMW back on the road.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Success with the BMW, I picked up a new ABS sensor on my way home from work, fitted this evening and following a test drive the gearbox is operating normally. Fingers crossed the repair lasts otherwise the car may end up as a burnt out shell (once I've removed the sat nav and TV as they fetch a decent price on Ebay) :devil: :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

DickieG wrote:Success with the BMW, I picked up a new ABS sensor on my way home from work, fitted this evening and following a test drive the gearbox is operating normally. Fingers crossed the repair lasts otherwise the car may end up as a burnt out shell (once I've removed the sat nav and TV as they fetch a decent price on Ebay) :devil: :twisted:
Time to get rid and get a very nice Xantia (if you can find one)
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

XantiaMan wrote:Time to get rid and get a very nice Xantia (if you can find one)
My plans exactly :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

DickieG wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:Time to get rid and get a very nice Xantia (if you can find one)
My plans exactly :D
Most bizarre that we have both come full circle, kinda!:lol: Wont be using my Activa as my only use car which means i can play and learn a bit more about them

Although i have been lucky with the Mondeo and had no problems in 10k and enjoyed every second, its one car i wouldnt sell.

Looking forward to the next FCF meet, as its been a while.
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

XantiaMan wrote: Looking forward to the next FCF meet, as its been a while.
You only just missed out on the Duxford IWM meet a few weeks ago. That was pretty damn good, quite a drive for me though!

Pics

A few FCFers will be meeting up at the classic car show at the NEC.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

red_dwarfers wrote:
XantiaMan wrote: Looking forward to the next FCF meet, as its been a while.
A few FCFers will be meeting up at the classic car show at the NEC.
Are many going to that and if so what day? Having just looked at the show website why is Friday £5 dearer than Sat/Sun (as if £20 isn't enough anyway)?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: Are many going to that and if so what day?
Not this year for me..

Robyn's 18th birthday....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

DickieG wrote:I picked up a new ABS sensor on my way home from work, fitted this evening
Bit easier than a Xantia then....you wouldn't have tackled that in an evening in the dark cold and wet!

At least you got access to some decent diag kit, and weren't left to the mercy of the 'experts' at the dealers!
Richard W
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

DickieG wrote:
The great thing about decent diagnostic equipment it can display the readings from each sensor during operation so using ABS as an example I brought up on the screen the live data being recorded from each wheel sensor and discovered that the N/S/R was reading nil whilst the other three were recording the same speed.
You can do this With Lexia 3 aswell, I have recently driven around with a laptop on the passenger seat reading the Live data from the sensors... interesting in that they read a faster speed then the speedo - of course due to drive shaft size... :lol:

Its in the Parameters section...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto