brake problem......Citroen ax gt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ax
My Cars:

brake problem......Citroen ax gt

Post by ax »

evening, i need some advice on my Citroen ax, i would be very grateful if some one could help me....
xxxxxx
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

AX:
Need a little more information here?
Perhaps the utter uselessness of the AX brakes has rendered you speechless.
I had one, and even after replacing the discs, pads, drums, shoes and master cylinder they were still useless.
Short of fitting a set of Formula 1 brakes, an AX GT is always going to go much better than it stops.
simon.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Could be worse could have my ZX td brakes! I've got this ongoing problem of bad judder under braking that is felt through the pedal, the steering wheel at certain speeds and the body of the car. It's had new Brembo stock discs, with pads, new rear drums and bearings, shoes and cylinders and it has made NO difference at all-it is worse now than ever, also the braking is very poor the overall power feels terrible coupled with horrible pedal feel thanks to the vibration. All I can think to do is systematically look at EVERYTHING that could cause this problem ie suspension bushes, wheels, tyres, front disc run out, calipers.
Strange thing is the car handles fine, there is no vibration under acceleration, at any constant speed even above 100mph or during cornering it is only on the brakes that things go pear shaped.
To top it all off I had my handbrake adjusted to come on in 4 clicks, now it comes on in over 10 and it seems to act more strongly on the offside rear such that as you let it off offside rises first so it's drums off time to wind the adjusters up to get the shoes as close to the drums as poss and even on both sides-I think the auto adjuster isn't working :-(
I just wish I knew what was causing it so I can fix it-the most annoying thing is not knowing what it is as I don't have the cash to just take it to a garage and say 'Fix it!'.
:-( :-(
Guru meditation
ps sorry for the hijack, but then you never said what was wrong with your brakes tho, so there ;-)