Fault code readers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

svesey
My Cars:

Fault code readers

Post by svesey »

Anyone know anything about the Maxidiag FR704 scan tool

http://www.autotec-direct.com/maxidiag- ... -531-p.asp
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Looks like it does most of the basic diagnostics; very similar to the one I've access to. It won't help if you want to know ECU software version details, or to upgrade that. I think they're also a good tool for going to a Cit dealer with a little foreknowledge (and they should note down what you are telling them - both faults read and tool used!) but suspect that for C5 onwards major work, the dealer computers may have the edge.

If you do buy something like the one linked, be prepared for a stream of fairweather friends wanting their airbag ECU codes cleared after they drove the car with a passenger seat missing (just one example). The ones with a full keypad allow situations like this (where you may have to enter the VIN) to be done more easily.

Regards, Adam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

they say it works on citroens from 1996?????, i would sudgest it dose not, as it was not legislated for cars produced in EUROP to be OBD/EOBD compliant until 2001 for petrol and 03/04 on diesels,

even then te manufacturers twist the rules so OBD/EOBD compliant still dont do all functions, as there are still manufacturer specific pins

however it was legislated in USA for all vehicles to be OBD compliant from 1996

ask the seller if it comes with the citroen 30 pin plug!!!!!!!!!, as im sure it wont

regards malcolm

ps.

it dose also depend on the year of your car to wether this will even plug in
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

At £176 how does it compare with this one at £45.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GS400-Scanner-OBD ... 286.c0.m14
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Malcolm, I tell the scan tool my car (Feb '99 Xantia break) is a Peugeot 406 with XU10J4R motor and AL4 box. It then reads everything perfectly! :lol:

It's my suspicion that everyone selling half decent non-dealer tools is more or less using the same software by now.

Regards, Adam.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:Malcolm, I tell the scan tool my car (Feb '99 Xantia break) is a Peugeot 406 with XU10J4R motor and AL4 box. It then reads everything perfectly! :lol:

It's my suspicion that everyone selling half decent non-dealer tools is more or less using the same software by now.

Regards, Adam.
But then your Xantia was made for a non European market, Peugeot and Citroen work on slightly different protocols (in Europe at least).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's also a really tiny market. I just couldn't imagine them changing more than they had to (door intrusion bars, different mirror glasses, rear centre seat belt details, speedometer accuracy and pollution controls). There were no locally mandated diagnostic protocols in the Xantia era.

I'm further able to run through all the little operational tests like pulsing injectors and carbon canister purge valve operation, read temperatures including transmission oil; have a feeling there may even be a gross log of engine hours too. But to rewrite the specs for such a small sales quantity when there was no obligation, just doesn't make sense to me.

Not trying to be argumentative, just realistic - the tightfisted importers certainly wouldn't pay for anything they didn't have to! If only they'd mandated Activa spec! :twisted:

Regards, Adam.