Self adjusting clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Self adjusting clutch cable

Post by Xaccers »

Jenny has one.
Despite the new clutch (I believe before she was with Craig), it's very heavy and I have to put my foot to the floor to properly change gears.

How do these cables actually work?
Do they need "resetting" when a new clutch is fitted?

The pedal sits at the top of it's swing, and there's nothing for about an inch of movement before you feel anything.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's got a sort of sliding ratchet arrangement in the outer cable. I think it should let go and slacken off when the load is released (ie cable disconnected), then re-tighten the first time the clutch is pressed. You might be able to 'wake' it up by letting the clutch pedal bang up a couple of times (or you might just break the clip :oops: ) However, if it's still heavy after clutch change then it's new cable time - but that involves access to the dreaded clip - how's your back???
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:then it's new cable time - but that involves access to the dreaded clip - how's your back???
Not Xac's problem. It'll be mine :lol: :lol: I did his last clutch clip :lol: I have a distinct advantage of being of small stature and being able to curl up in the dark depths of the footwell...

Is it possible to replace the self-adjusting cable with a non-self adjusting cable?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...