Smokey Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Smokey Picasso

Post by Jshodgson »

Hi
My Picasso seems a little smokey. I noticed it when changing and then checking the brake bulbs at the weekend. I have no service history with the car so is there anything I should do/check.

Thanks in advance.
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
nick
My Cars:

Re: Smokey Picasso

Post by nick »

It would certainly be worth checking how clean the air filter is, if you don't know when it was last changed.
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I notice your signature says that it's got 96,000 miles on it. Having just had a laugh getting my (144,000) HDi Xantia through the MOT smoke test, may I suggest an Italian tune-up - that is, get it nice and warm and then hold it against the rev limiter in the lower gears. Should leave an enormous black cloud up the road, but be cleaner afterwards. However, with 96k miles, I'd suggest that you don't do it until you know how old the cam belt is... :)

My Xantia is also now running a tank containing Wynn's Injector Cleaner, for whatever that's worth...

Cheers
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Thanks
the air filter is new. I will try the Italian Tune when I have the belt changed.

Someone told me they don;t like being over filled with oil.
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jshodgson wrote: Someone told me they don;t like being over filled with oil.
It's never a good idea to overfill a diesel with oil just in case it starts to get a taste for it. If it is so high that it gets into the combustion chambers, the engine will use it as fuel very effectively and the engine may suffer a "runaway" as a result.

The other problem an overfull sump can cause is drag, should the sump be so full that the crank webs dip into the oil. This will increase fuel consumption and reduce performance severely.

I always keep my diesel oil levels about 3mm below max on the dipstick.

What colour is your smoke. Smoke from burned oil is blue. Smoke from lack of air or faulty injection is black.

I too heartily recommend a good "Italian Tuneup" once you have a new cambelt fitted! They work wonders...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...