The Problem and The temporary Solution

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

The Problem and The temporary Solution

Post by wigelywoo »

The Problem
After a wet night my 2.2 hdi will not start.
The car opens with the Blip but then when I try to start the engine it just cranks over and the imobiliser/alarm light starts to flash.

The temporary Solution
Get out the car, put key in door lock, lock and unlock the car several times, with key.
Try the Blip, it doesn't work.
Unlock car door with key and sit in car.
Try the key to start the car

It doesn't start, just cranks over.

Hold the blip near interior mirror and press one of the buttons for thirty seconds
Try the key to start the car

It starts

Thanks for reading
Has anyone any ideas?
The car is an early 2002 model.
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It sounds like a corroded/dodgy connection in some part of the wiring loom, which gets worse when its picked up moisture from the air.

As to where to look first though........??
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Still got starting problem. After a frosty night, 3 weeks ago the car refused to start, whilst turning the engine over the red light for the alarm/imobiliser starts to flash. I then go through the procedure of locking/unlocking and retuning key to car, kept on doing this until battery is almost flat. Charged battery overnight and after tuning key to car it started up.
On saturday I had same problem, after frost. Went through above procedure ,but, before battery failed completely, I connected a battery booster pack and after retuning the key to car, it started.
Any sugestions?
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

I feel your pain there pal.

I have a 95 TD, recently (only a couple of times) with the cold and wet weather i open with the blip, stick the key in the ignition and nothing...no cranking, no lights...nothing.

The CD had ejected like the battery had been disconnected yet the interior clock shows the correct time....

The locking unlocking thing seems to work after a couple of go'es...

I have put it down to gallic charm but in your case it sounds like it could be a dodgy ignition starter switch? Does the fuel stop solenoid have a feed to that? It does on VW's.....if so then it doesnt tell the fuel pump to supply fuel, hence the cranking with no start.

Let me know how you get on :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Tried replacing the battery in your fob at all as could also be that?

Failing that its like the anti theft system is losing power and is losing its memory and thus the fob has to be married up to it again?
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

I will get to the bottom of the problem on mine...it did it again this morning :x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...