Veggie and Activa tales but now rental reviews blog!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
andmcit

Unread post by andmcit »

Is that what that is - Peugeots are a mystery to me! :lol: Some of the earlier
s1 Xant's have the lock barrel on the nearside scuttle which can be accessed
from opening the bonnet.

The later cars dispensed with this although I've no idea what you need to do
to stop the siren on them - haven't had the misfortune yet!

Andrew

KP

Unread post by KP »

Nah its not the alarm siren disabler as thats in the scuttle tray as Andrew has said but i know what you mean.

This little 'Sauce Pot' is located right next to where the heater matrix pipes go into the bulkhead and is very difficult to reach. looks like some kind of baffled filter or air outlet for something :)

Thanks for the link to the Foglights. They look a bit mk2 to me and i have a mk1 but i've asked them anyway as maybe can knock them down on price seeing as how much interest they have at the minute :)

Next up will be the surrounds....
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Unread post by DickieG »

I believe the 'sauce pot' is the clutch master cylinder reservior.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP

Unread post by KP »

Ahh. i thought this used the LHM system or is that wrong??

Also quick update, now had a few days with no major leaks so will be re-checking the level tonight and if still stable i'll be draining off some water and putting some anti freeze in. Don't worry i've not done this in winter months to any car i own but i think its better on my pocket and the envirment to test with clean water first off and if it does leak it doesn't leak horrible stuff out :)
KP

Unread post by KP »

Well this afternoon i have got two things done after leaving work a little early.

1. got a new tyre, Yokohama 205/60/15 AVS db 550.
I went for this as the price fitted at £85 wasn't that bad and they seem to get good reviews for grip, tread wear and value for money.
I also wanted to see if the higher load rating of 95 helped with corner performance as its now fitted to the passenger front wheel.

All my other tyres are,
Rear 205/60/15 Michelin Energy E3A 91H that are very good for the rear when the car has a little less wieght in it as they cushion potholes and bumps nicely in the harsher activa.
Drivers front Michelin Energy XS 91H that squeels like hell over slightly old road surfaces when pushed the tiniest bit. this will likely need replacing before Xmas though i hope i can afford it with Insurance and MOT due before xmas...

2. Picked up the roll control bush. I thought this was rubber looking and feeling mine as much as i could but its plastic. The new one is also larger than the old one and you need to order 2 units per side of the part number. ie 4 if you want to do both sides.
I fitted the passenger side as it was the worst i thought. Took me 5 mins to do as i had given them a soak in WD40 the other night. came off a doddle. Getting back on required pulling off the roll contorol rod out from the car so that i could get the bolts up through again. Also gave it a good covering in some high temp grease i have that lasts on exhaust bolts and the like and should prevent dirt getting in and wearing it down anytime soon :) Now right turns feel much flatter than before and just got to pick others up tomorrow and fit them to make left corners good too :)

Just a note on the tyre while i remember, its been fitted to the passenger side as i find most of my trips are right hand involved due to the roundabouts i have to negotiate and tend to not push left handers anywhere near as hard as my door window is most uncomfortable :D
XantiaMan

Unread post by XantiaMan »

Ouch, £85 for one tyre? Could get 2 decent for that, just!
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KP

Unread post by KP »

The only other decent tyres i have bought for a xantia have been michelin energy e3a's, i've been thru a fair few xantias now with different sizes and brands and those have been far the best compromise of all aspects and lasted the longest, even running higher pressures in the rears they offered superb grip even in the bad snow snaps we have had at which point i ran them down to 28psi for grip.

The Yokohamas are not cheap but after suffering cheaper brand tyres and even some midranges before i think its worth the money for a decent tyre, nothing else actually contacts the road unless something falls off and other than brakes i consider tyres way up on the priority list after seeing crash's where poor tyre maintanence or penny pinching had occured....
KP

Unread post by KP »

Uploaded a shosrt video to flickr below but it needs re-editing as they have cut it around and messed it up so will need to split it into 2 videos one for testing and one for the shuffle. Best thing to do is to pause it and when cached drag the progress bar across and it makes the shuffling and so on more pronounced :) Enjoy

XantiaMan

YouTube is a better place for uploading a video, Flickr has a small limit. But nothing can touch Flickr for pictures!
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
KP

Unread post by KP »

Well it was nearly curtains for the activa this evening. After dropping some blurays back at blockbuster i popped into Sainsburys to get some wine and headed home to provide said wine to the good lady of the house.

On the way home pootling along a very empty straight unlit roadat just under national speed limit(on a fuel saving mission at the minute) and noticed that the side road junction up ahead had a car coming upto it. Thought oh well they will stop in a second and i can cruise on past without worry. WRONG.
About 50yards or more before the junction the car hadn't slowed down and proceeded to pull out in front of me onto the main road. This made me slam the brakes on so hard that my jacket came off the passenger seat(never done before in my spirited driving) and matthews little booster seat that sits nicely into the little recess of the rear seat hit the back of the passenger seat. Every wheels was pumping and scrabbling with the ABS earning its keep massively when the ARCS was called into duty. In somethign similar to this advert, but on the correct side of the road ( ) i had to swerve to the left to go behind the car, also going into the side road of the T junction, and then right to avoid ending up in the field next to the junction and back onto the road junction I actually think now sat here calmly typing this out and having a nice chilled corona to calm my nerves that if i had been in the old estate or one of the other poverty spec xantias, specially with no abs, that i would have just taken the back half off the kia persona clean off with the stupid old dear still sat in her seat. After i came to a stop the woman carried on driving off so i quickly turned round at which point she then stopped when she could see i was chasing after her, pulled along side her and wound down the passenger window and will leave what i said to your imagination but the response from her was, she was sorry she just wasn't concentrating. I nearly popped out of the car to pop her tyres, if that had been some young family with kids in the back in some older AX, Metro or suchlike, they wouldn't have stood a chance and the back seat passangers would have been seriously hurt at national speed limits hitting a korean brick. I had to take a deep breath and calmly carry on my journey home...

On the map i ws heading from bottom to top with the junction on the left, if it were the other way i doubt i would have been able to pull round to overtake as the dip in the road is bad enough to prevent overtaking most of the time if you are heading in either direction.. Where do some people come from that they can get behind the wheel of a lethal weapon and just not concentrate or care what they are doing?!?! grr so mad as i deal with it bad enough on my daily commute now with people who indicate left and then cut across to go right... must calm down and go finish my beer now and watch some tv and play some ogame before nap time....

ahh another note, ill post some pics up in the morning but i have mangeded to do the drivers side control rod bush. while it still feels a bit loose in it its much tighter and it does seem citroen have revised the part to a much beefer size but comparision pictures will be included and description of the job in a seperate post :)
Xaccers

Unread post by Xaccers »

Holy moly! Thank goodness you're alright!
I regularly get idiots pulling out in front of me around MK and then pootling along at 30mph totally oblivious to either me or the national speed limit!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

That was lucky Will :P So pleased the end result was not a disaster. You deserved a beer after that!

Just shows the combination of proper Citroen brakes, proper Citroen ABS and ARCS really does get the job done. I've done similar a couple of times once for a child and another time for a cat and I reckon if I'd not been in a well-fettled Xantia the outcome might have been a bit different. The first incident was in my old 1.9TD and the second in my 2.1TD. Both with ABS but no hydractive. So even a poverty spec. Xantia, as long as it has ABS, has really excellent brakes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan

Pleased to hear you avoided a potential accident, guess that will scrub that one Yoko in nicely :wink:
2020 Peugeot Partner
2017 Fiesta ST
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2006 Ford Fiesta Zetec
KP

Unread post by KP »

Im pretty sure now that having covered over 100miles already that last nights near miss has truly bedded the tyre in :)

on that front im quite happy with it, it really is quiet compared to the spare or the funny tyre that was there before and does grip quite well to be honest. though for the price its certainly living upto what is expected of it.
davetherave

Unread post by davetherave »

Scary stuff, makes me wish i had ABS!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s