Xantia heater Matrix part id

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulbx
My Cars:

Xantia heater Matrix part id

Post by paulbx »

Folks Xantia 90 with AC

got a slight curry smell in the car on and off - very likely its the dreaded matrix.

Can someone help me ID the right part

GSF only mention -N17838 HEATER MATRIX XANTIA NO AIR CON - but mine has AC....!

Car cooling say they cover ALL models but not BEHR wahtever that is?

http://www.carcooling.co.uk/products/He ... 5-211.html

So I am puzzled -a ny pointers anyone?

Thanks

Paul
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The GSF one is fine for all Xantias including those with A/C Paul. There is no difference in practice.

I've used one in my 2.1TD with no worries at all. I believe the GSF one is in fact an OE Valeo.

An HDi looks to be one of the easier Xantias to do as you have fair access to the matrix water elbow in the engine bay.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
paulbx
My Cars:

Thanks for clarification

Post by paulbx »

Jim Thanks for the clarification!

Lets hope it is easier! I know tehre are lots of good guides on here for this job.

I see in the Citroen Car club mag that you've joined up with CCC _ I too am a member.

Well I'll let you know how I get on!

So two jobs to do now

Sort out flashing ABS

Sort out heater matrix

Paul
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The CCC is good Paul :D A supurb monthly magazine. Speaking of which, you will no doubt have seen Richard's Xantia Files articles on heater matrix replacements... One of which described the job on my Activa!

Essentially, the job is not too bad, just long-winded and I believe the MKII Xantia is a little easier as the steering wheel can remain in place.

Essentially, dash out, LHM reservoir out, heater plenum drain (very critical) screws out, the two heater box nuts removed. One is relatively easy but the other is a bit tricky as it lives down behind the maze of pipes behind the LHM reservoir.

After disconnecting the matrix water elbow, the heater box can then be pulled just far enough forwards to lift out the matrix.

Top tip for disconnecting the elbow is to run the car up to full temperature until the fans cut in. The heat and pressure in the cooling system helps enormously to release the joint but mind the scalding water!

The main thing is to use the BoL only for resting a cup of tea on. As far as matrix replacement goes, that's about the extent of its usefulness :lol:

If your matrix is just smelly off and on, put a bottle of Forte Stop Leak in now and it'll hold until the weather permits the job to be done. Most of the smell is old antifreeze caked onto the outside of the matrix from earlier leaks. Forte stopped all my leaks (but not the smell) very effectively.

Also, carefull remove any old, caked antifreeze from the matrix cavity in the heater box as this will continue to smell even with a new matrix.

The new matrix will be found to have a smell all of its own that lingers for weeks but it's a nice, new matrix smell, slightly oily and the sweet smell of success in this job :D

Allow at least 10 hours for the job and have an assistant as the dash is surprisingly heavy.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

BTW Be VERY careful removing the scuttle trim! It's glued on with stuff stronger
than the outer laminate of the bonded screen!! Take it from me - I KNOW!!

Andrew