xsara steering wheel alignment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimbow
My Cars:

xsara steering wheel alignment

Post by jimbow »

credit crunched from a series 2 xantia activa to a 1.9D X Xsara ((X reg with just over 100k recorded). When the wheel is set "dead ahead" the car veers ever so slightly to the left. Is this the consequence of "wear and tear" (e.g. not unusual/ they all do that) but ok to postpone adjustment until next service ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its usualy eithersomeone has adjusted the tracking one sided (incorect), or the steering wheel has been removed and re/fitted one or to splines out,

the easyest fix for both would be drive the car in a straight line about a foot or so, then without allowing the road wheels to steer in the slightest remove the steering wheel and re/fit it were you require it to be straight,

observe the safty precausions if it has an air bag ( not the missis )

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Or take it to a tyre place and ask them to re-do the tracking (which will make your tyres last longer too and save money on fuel) while ensuring the steering wheel is straight.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You will be Ok if the steering wheel has never been removed. The trouble is that to do the job properly the rack needs to be centred -- which is best done by measuring its movement, setting it straight, then checking/removing and replacing the steering wheel in the correct position.

Having done that then the front wheels should be adjusted so that they are each at the correct angle to the centre axis of the car.

Incorrect tracking will show up as uneven tyre wear - excessive toe out - inside edge wear, toe in - outside edge wear.

The car will only feel right if all the linkage is set correctly.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

To check if the steering wheel is corectly centered, turn it from lock to lock and check that the straight ahead position is exactly half way. If it is, the track rod end/s need adjustment, if it isn't the steering wheel needs removing and refitting as previously stated.