Is the Xsara and ZX based on the same platform as a pug 306

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Is the Xsara and ZX based on the same platform as a pug 306

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Just a question to see if the Xsara and ZX are based on the same platform as the 306?? The Xsara shares very similar suspension set up to my other half's 306, and it resembles the underside of my old ZX too.

Shame the ride of my Xsara isn't as good (in my opinion) as my old ZX...and doesn't feel as sure footed as the Pug...but that could be down the the complete set of odd tyres it has! (I am changed the set as soon as i can)

This question has been going round in my head for some years now...sad but true!

Any answers welcome!!

Cheers as ever chaps.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

As far as I know the ZX and the 306 are almost the same. Differences are in the body panels, lights and interiors. About the engines, I'm not sure. I've heard also that the rear suspension in the 306 is not mounted in rubber bushes and does not turn.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds about right to me Oscar.

Engines are substantially identical as well.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

oscarloco wrote:I've heard also that the rear suspension in the 306 is not mounted in rubber bushes and does not turn
You heard wrong - exactly the same under the rear :lol:
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

I can also confirm the back of the 306 is the same as the ZX. It is also mounted in rubber bushes.

I think the facelift 306 shared the same floorplan as the xsara. And the early 306 with the ZX.

I can confirm the engines are the same too, although I've heard the 1.9td Volcane for the ZX has a different fuel pump and was therefore a tiny bit faster than it's 306 sister.

The 106 is like the AX/Saxo too.

The Xantia (ph1) shares similarities to the 405 and the Xantia (ph2) like the 406 (par the suspension).

The 605 is similar to the XM... etc etc.

Engines and suspension setups are the more common interchangable parts between the families, then it stops, styling/interiors can be vastly different.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There are some detail differences - for example some ZX have the drop link going to the strut and some 306 have long plastic drop links going to the wishbone. The theory of attaching it to the strut is that turning the wheel (and hence the strut) pre-loads the anti-roll bar - and means better control or the use of a lighter bar.

Not sure about the Xsara. I do know that tyres make a great deal of difference as I replaced Continentals with Kleber (made by Michelin and actually a few pence cheaper than the Continentals) on the front of the ZX and the difference was such that my wife commented without being prompted. (Quieter, better ride and grip both wet and dry and they seem to be lasting about twice as long as well)
jeremy
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i've got a xsara mk2 and it drives and handles every bit as well as my old zx did, i did however find that my old zx was very picky when it came to tyres, some makes of tyres on it just didn't feel right and i once had a set that were dangerous i lost control a couple of times before i removed them :)
i did read somewhere that the xsara 2 had a stiffened body shell over the mk 1 but they are essentially the same :)
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Wasn't the 306 was based on the ZX, and not the other way around?

Production of the ZX did start in 1991...
ImageImage
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ross_K wrote:Wasn't the 306 was based on the ZX, and not the other way around?

Production of the ZX did start in 1991...
Yes, Peugeot get Citroen to test the water, BX then 405, Xantia then 406, ZX then 306 and Xsara and 307.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Xac wrote: Peugeot get Citroen to test the water
I was going to mention the only example where I could think of this happening in the other direction; 106 then Saxo.
Then I remembered the 106 was itself based on the AX!

Having said that, going back a few years weren't the Citroen LN & Talbot Samba basically a Pug 104 with a shortened wheelbase??