Just got another Xantia and mirror question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Just got another Xantia and mirror question

Post by xantia_v6 »

I just picked up a fairly nice 1999 Xantia V6. Everything* working and recent cambelt.

The old one is now for sale, but will need a cambelt in a few thousand miles.

Lucky that I did not buy a C5, or I would have had to change my nickname.

*The passenger door mirror has apparently been replaced with the wrong type, and doesn't adjust at all. I need to find the correct indexing mirror. Can anyone tell me which trim levels of Mk 2 Xantia had the indexing (i.e dips when the car is in reverse) mirror, and confirm that it is a different part to that used on the Mk 1?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Just got another Xantia and mirror question

Post by DickieG »

xantia_v6 wrote:I need to find the correct indexing mirror. Can anyone tell me which trim levels of Mk 2 Xantia had the indexing (i.e dips when the car is in reverse) mirror, and confirm that it is a different part to that used on the Mk 1?
Only Xantia's fitted with fully adjustable electric seats had an indexed mirror, series 1 or 2 are the same.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

So. What's the story with the old V6 now for sale? You can't just leave a
throwaway comment about a V6 being for sale and not explain further!!

OK, I'm really not looking as I can't allow myself to buy another car but
that doesn't stop me looking and in the last week I have just gone out and
bought myself another Xm, a 2.5TD saloon this time and I'm loving it!!

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I went for a spin in a Xantia V6 today :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm hooked... Gorgeous.

If only I had the space...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

According to my interpretation of the Citroen service site, the MK1 and Mk2 mirrors are different (I put in the VINs of my 2 cars), the Mk1 has a part number of 8148LS and the Mk2 a part number of 8148WA, but they both use the same electronic control box, so maybe they are the same.

My old car is a 97 Mk1 with 133,000 miles and a couple of blemishes on the bodywork. I have been fixing it as necessary (new radiator, new exhaust, a couple of spheres this year) but I decided that I won't have the time in the next 6 months to do the required maintenance (including the cambelt).

I could not justify paying someone more than the car is worth to do the work (it would be a different story if it were low mileage and immaculate).

It is a basically sound car that has been looked after (both before and during my ownership), but the economics of used cars in the UK...

I expect that I will put it on Ebay in a few days (maybe minus a mirror)...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

citrojim wrote:I went for a spin in a Xantia V6 today :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm hooked... Gorgeous.

If only I had the space...

I've had a go in a v6 Xantia recently myself and I want one! A lot!
Being rational and not having space are mere handicaps that
just make the exercise more challenging... :D

Andrew
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

xantia_v6 wrote:According to my interpretation of the Citroen service site, the MK1 and Mk2 mirrors are different (I put in the VINs of my 2 cars), the Mk1 has a part number of 8148LS and the Mk2 a part number of 8148WA, but they both use the same electronic control box, so maybe they are the same.
I could be wrong but I think the difference is that S1 mirrors are grey while the S2 ones have the coloured cover.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

reblack68 wrote:I could be wrong but I think the difference is that S1 mirrors are grey while the S2 ones have the coloured cover.
To be honest all Xantia's with indexed N/S mirrors will have coloured back covers on them. I can't see any difference between S1 or S2 mirrors, I've had both versions :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Maybe the different part number is related to the tint colour then.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Well, I pulled the mirrors off both cars, and it is obvious that the indiexing mirrors are different.

My Mk2 has had a non-indexing mirror fitted, which was not connected at all, but the Mk2 indexing mirror harness was hanging loose inside the door.

There are 2 differences between the Mk1&2 indexed mirror that I can see:

1. From the Mk1 to Mk2, they moved the temperature sensor from the RH door to the LH door, and the MK 1 mirror does not have the sensor or wiring (but does have the place for the sensor to go).

2. Having added an extra connector (for the temperature sensor), there was nowhere to clip it on the bracket, so they changed 2 2pin connectors into a 4 pin connector to save space.

I can try swapping the Mk2 wiring and temperature sensor onto the Mk1 mirror, but that is made slightly more difficult, because on the Mk1 mirror, the control wires are soldered directly to the PCB, but on the Mk2 mirror, they terminate on a multi-way connector (that plugs into some somponent that I am missing). The Mk2 control wires are then all a bit short to reach the Mk1 PCB.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

OK, 2 requests:

Can someone post the wiring diagram for the electic mirrors, both the normal electric, and the ones that dip?

Can someone explain where the oil level plug is on the 4HP20 transmission without a dipstick? and is the transmission oil level checked hot or cold, running or stopped?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: Can someone post the wiring diagram for the electic mirrors, both the normal electric, and the ones that dip?
Give me ten minutes to get the scanner in gear and they'll be with you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here they are.

Firstly the ES9J4 MK2 specific Dipping Mirror Circuit

And the StandardMK2 Electric Mirror Circuit

Big files on a slow internet link so patience please!

All item numbers, colour codes etc. can all be looked up in the BoL.

Hope that helps...
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Thanks!
It does show that the indexed mirror can be replaced by a normal mirror with a bit of cutting and splicing of wires in the door.

My current plan is to modify my Mk1 indexed mirror to Mk2 specification by swapping the wiring harness and temperature sensor, then put the standard mirror on my Mk1 and adjust the door wiring so that it works as a normal electric mirror.

I rang around a few breakers today to find a Mk2 mirror, but none of them had ever noticed that there were some mirrors with 10 or 12 wires going to them. My advice would be to snap up any indexing mirror you see lying around.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

xantia_v6 wrote:My current plan is to modify my Mk1 indexed mirror to Mk2 specification by swapping the wiring harness and temperature sensor, then put the standard mirror on my Mk1 and adjust the door wiring so that it works as a normal electric mirror.
Hey, I may be persuaded to buy the spare and unwanted Xantia v6
off you even where there is an issue with a non indexing door mirror... :lol:
Sounds like this could significantly reduce the value of said V6 when it
comes time to sell it on!! ;)

Andrew