C5 HPI EGR Valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birstall

C5 HPI EGR Valve

Post by birstall »

An update on the EGR valve:

As I posted previously, I had the "antipollution fault" message come up, which, when I checked on my diagnostic device (costing £20 from China - you need a laptop as well) indicated a fault with the EGR valve. This is the EGR valve for the petrol HPI engine, by the way, not the diesel engine.

Previous posters with the problem had forked out their hard earned cash to let Citroen do the repair. Some wondered if they should have stripped down and cleaned the valve first prior to letting Citroen loose on it, so I thought I'd take time to do this before I replaced the valve. However, cleaning the valve and also cleaning the electrical contacts in the top connection box made no difference.

I was a bit hesitant about replacing the valve. I'd read previously on another forum that someone with the same error message had replaced the valve and continued to get the same error message. But eventually, I decided to give it a go anyway.

After replacing the valve I'm happy to say that the problem was fixed. (Not an altogether easy job as it involved removing the air inlet manifold).

Note that I bought the part from a Citroen dealer, and I asked for a discount. The nice chap gave me a 15% discount off the cost if I didn't need next day delivery. Worth bearing in mind if you don't need parts urgently.

My next job to look at will be the downstream O2 sensor. I've been quoted £360 by the Citroen dealer to do the job. Ouch!

2002 C5 HPI Exclusive Estate approx 50,000 miles
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is your antipolution filter blocked or patialy, if so these filters can be steam cleaned,

or at a cost of around 140/150 squid you can buy a re/coned one from the dealer, but with a 500 squid surcharge on the old unit

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The HPi engine is a petrol & just has a catalyst, not like the particle filters on the diesels so they cant be cleaned