Problems with Xantia's clutch change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Problems with Xantia's clutch change

Post by Martin Beevers »

I started a clutch change today on my 95 TD SX, and had to stop and re-think my approach...

Firstly I cannot get the gear linkages off- Haynes manual says simply- "Prise them off with a flat screwdriver" All I seam to do is tear the rubber inside them...

Secondly I can't see how to get the pin out of the lever arm.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Awaiting your thoughts.

Martin
95 Xantia 1.9TD SX - Now sold
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Martin,

I know your problems well :twisted: Don't attempt to removed the rubberised ends of the gear linkages and only pull the solid ends off. It's OK to leave the rods dangling as you remove the 'box. They can be tied out of the way if need be.

Best method I find to disconnect the balljoints is to roll them over to the very edge of their movement, exposing as much ball as possible and then levering them a little more with a small pry-bar. So often they come off with finger pressure when right on the edge.

If you have torn the rubber, you must replace the rods although a temporary repair can be done with superglue!

The clutch release pin: Remove the spring, douse the pin and housing in Plus-Gas and attach a pair of Mole Grips pointing vertically up and tightly attached to the exposed part of the pin. Take a hammer and tap firmly on the jaws of the Mole Grips to drive the pin forward and out. This works better than trying to twist the pin out.

On the subject of the release lever and shaft, replace the top and bottom nylon bushes. They cost pennies from a stealer and make a big difference :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Cheers Jim,

Do you suggest I disconnect the linkage's further back? I mean the next ball joints down. If that makes sense...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

for the gear linkages, i allways use a spanner of the right sized jaw to fit under the cup, but wide enough jaw to clear the ball end, this is the opposite end to the rubberised coupling as Jim said

regards malcolm
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Cheers Malcolm, every tip will help. :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Martin Beevers wrote:Cheers Jim,

Do you suggest I disconnect the linkage's further back? I mean the next ball joints down. If that makes sense...
Yes, not a problem at all Martin. I've extracted a gearbox with the linkages dangling from it with no worries. As Malcolm says, it do't matter where as long as you only disconnect the solid ends and not the rubbery ones!

The official tool for popping off the linkages is a fork-shaped device, hence Malcolm using a spanner for the job. I've used the same method in the past but prefer now, my short cranked pry-bar or if the Weetabix has gone down well, just fingers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Thanks Jim,

I had an idea thats where you meant, but needed to make sure.

I'll get back in the ring for another swing tomorrow. :lol:
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Got a new linkage from the local dealer and was amazed to find Citroen have modified the connectors.

It had buttons you could press to release/connect the ball joint.

However, when everything was all back together I found that when I turned the front wheel forward the opposite wheel turned backwards.

Help, I can't fathom it out. I'm a bit stumped. I just can't see what's gone wrong.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the original link rods are ment to do that but for some reason they dont ofte

and the wheels turnning opposite directions whilst off the ground is correct and normal,

regards malcolm
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Thanks Malcolm,

Glad to hear that nothings wrong. It just spooked me a bit...

I just phoned my brother and he confirms it too.
Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Thanks Jim and Malcolm.

Just returned from a 400 mile round trip to Newquay with no problems and the clutch is still sexy and new...

Thanks again for your help and advise fella's. =D>

Martin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Martin, that is excellent news :D

Thanks for letting us know the end result. Hope you enjoyed Newquay.

Isn't a new clutch wonderful. I'll wager it feels so light compared to the old one...
Jim

Martin Beevers
My Cars:

Post by Martin Beevers »

Yes Jim, light as a feather.

I also took your advise on replacing the nylon bushes either end of the release fork. The old ones were worn oval...

My old man is getting a bottle of rum for his help getting the gearbox back in. Not bad for a 74 year old. :D

Martin