C5 rear suspension arm bearing help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

buckley
My Cars:

C5 rear suspension arm bearing help

Post by buckley »

new member/owner
I have a2001 c5 hdi lx done about 110,000 miles and used to tow a caravan before we had it. The rear suspension has now started to make a metallic clanging noise when going over any sort of bump in the road.
I read that changing spheres may cure and being the easier job have done this but the noise is still there.
I am now looking at replacing the arm bearings but at the moment I cannot find were to get these, the only offer I have had is to get replacement arms from Citroen at £450 pounds each (at the moment I cannot make out if the noise comes from one side or both).Does anyone know were I can get the replacement bearings? Also is there any other parts that I need to change at the same time, I believe there is a rubber under the thing that looks like a "stair bannister knob" could this also cause the clanging noise?
Any help appreciated
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi, welcome to the forum 8)

Your dealer is right .... and wrong ! The bearing 'kit' is only available as a complete arm (although bizzarely this doesn't appear to include the arm bolt :? ). But the parts for the bearing are available separately. Not sure, but GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) might sell the kit.

Citroen part details (prices inc VAT, arm shown for completeness!, you might need two bearings, seals and bushes - not clear in the diagram if you get one or two):

0000517912 SEAL PROTECTOR 1.43 GBP

75472408 ARM BEARING 23.82 GBP

0000514327 WEDGES SET 12.54 GBP

0000515414 SUSP ARM SEAL 2.00 GBP

0000513326 BEARING BUSH 2.77 GBP

0000513267 WISHBONE BUSH 5.45 GBP

0000513268 SUSPENSN SPACER 2.77 GBP

0000373918 SELF LOCKG NUT 1.16 GBP

00005175X9 SUSPENSION ARM 432.19 GBP

One thing to bear in mind - early (like 2001!) C5s suffered from rear suspension noise / wear, and Citroen changed the rear subrames under warranty. It might be worth checking with your dealer to see if yours was done - if not then you might try asking if they would consider doing the work (I can just imagine the repsonse, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!)
Richard W
buckley
My Cars:

Post by buckley »

Hi Richard
Thanks for the information I will try to get the parts tomorrow

Phil
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

My 2002 2.2HDi started doing the same thing a few months ago.

On inspection nothing was obvious and the rear bearings were free and smooth and no change in wheel inclination. Successfully passed its MOT.

Suddenly stopped doing it after a few weeks and it has not yet re appeared.

Noise was a sharp metallic twang but there did not seem to be any significant energy or force involved with it. I did wonder when it stopped if it had been stone or something similar that had been trapped behind the anti roll bar.

Regards

John
buckley
My Cars:

Post by buckley »

I now have the bearings etc but on attempting to get the arm off I seem to have lots of problems
Anti lock braking sensor-forum suggests not taking out sensor at wheel end but unplugging further up, does anyone know were the plug is I have tried to trace it but it disappears through grommets in the fuel tank, anyone know were to disconnect?

second I connot get the two bolts (16mm) holding the brake caliper to budge, I assume they are normal threads (not left hand) any ideas, then tried to get the brake pipe off the caliper but as usual with pipes the nut is rusted to the pipe and won't turn, if I coannot get the bolts undone simplist will be to re-new brake pipe
Aany case sensor seems to be the main problem!!!

Phil :? :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Re:caliper bolts. They are long, tight and threadlocked up the wazoo.

Liberally apply WD40 and/or Plus Gas to release the threadlock, over a period of hours/overnight.
CTR

Post by CTR »

Rear arm bearing.

1. The parts - you can order it from the Citroen dealer, or buy a kit from Xantia Hatchback (not estate!) in GSF, - not all the parts match, but the essentials like bearing and seals do match and this is what you need.
Probably worst to have a spare pin which clip hydraulic cylinder to the arm - you'll probably brake one and they are cheap...

2. It is requred to adjust the whole packed bearing length to the specified size with spacer shim, otherwise bearing will not last long. In practice not many people do that. possibly the best appropach for DIY is to leave an existing spacer, changing only bearing and plastic seals and hoping that the bearing will be the same...

3.Caliper bolts - they are normal, byt very fragile, so get one spare (it is <2pounds). They are squeaky, to unscrew - locked to the brake caliper themself with thread locking compound (not in the thread), but doable.
Do not forget to lock it back the same way...
It is worst to clear electrochemical corrosion remnants under the caliper while it is off :

4. It is doable under the car without removing ABS sensor ...
connector is too far away - you don't want to unscrew such many things, Some people cut the wire and restore connection later (must be waterperfect!)

5.There was a lot of options of how to remove the bearing from the arm discussed on this forum. I used Dremel with 1mm disk to cut them (see pics).

Before:

antiroll bar undone:

arm off:

you can do it with the sensor in place:

old bearing?

old bearing cut with dremel:

electrochemical corrosion under the break caliper:
buckley
My Cars:

Post by buckley »

Hi CTR
thanks for the time to put the post together, some good information.
Do you happen to know what size torx is requird for the anti roll bar?

Phil
CTR

Post by CTR »

buckley wrote:Hi CTR
thanks for the time to put the post together, some good information.
Do you happen to know what size torx is requird for the anti roll bar?

Phil
If I remember correctly it was 55. Can check tomorrow.
You will also need socket and spanner for metric 24 for the main bolt.
buckley
My Cars:

Post by buckley »

Hi
Thanks everyone for the help, I did both sides today, the bearings were not that rusty but were very pitted like the one in CTR's picture. Anyway test run completed and no noise -hurray.

Phil :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Phil, excellent work :D Pleased it went well.

CTR, Thanks for posting up the pictorial guide. I'm sure many in the future will find it most valuable :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sijrayner
My Cars:

Post by sijrayner »

anyone know where these pics went for the radius arm bearing fix
why oh why did i buy a C5.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

The garage who repaired my bearing couldn't get the calipers off in time so simply took the whole arm off and left it hanging as they repaired the bearing. Thus avoiding the need to remove the calipers.
C'est pas possible!