In Praises of my Xant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Evodad
My Cars:

In Praises of my Xant

Post by Evodad »

My 1994 8v Petrol Xant just turned over 200,000 (looks better than typing 200k) miles this morning & still doing at least 32 miles every day with a regular 37 mpg.

Bloody marvellous!
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

You are doing well there it seems....

My first Xantia was a petrol and it was great also...

How many head gaskets have you been through?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

None if it's a petrol!

My '95 TD Xantia SX estate isn't a taxi and is showing 260K, another a '93 TD
VSX is on 200k too, though that one had a new head fitted at some point.

Incidentally, I've got a red M plated 1.8 16v with a 'mere' 88k miles on the
clock if anyone wants to give me £200quid for it OR a green L plated 2.0i
Auto SX with 88k for £200quid as part of a clear out I'm doing! Both working
fine but need minor jobs for new MOT's! Or open to offers! :D

Andrew
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

I did fit a new head gasket at 146k & clutch at 195k, so should be good for another 200k!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just goes to show, with a bit of TLC, a Xantia will go on for ever. Seriously tough cars :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Both Xantias and XMs are built like a tank, mechanically. Ball joints and drive shafts seem to last well in excess of 100k and the engines and gearboxes, particularly diesel are capable of over 200k with regular oil changes, the 2.1 probably in excess of 300k, my last XM had covered 292k when I sold it and was still going well - pity about the electrics!
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

Another twelve months, another twelve thousand miles, another MOT, another pass first time!
It just keeps rolling on.

Thanks Citroen, thanks Xantia.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Evodad wrote: Thanks Citroen, thanks Xantia.
And no doubt, thanks also to your regular maintenance of the car Evodad!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

citrojim wrote:And no doubt, thanks also to your regular maintenance of the car Evodad!
That certainly helps but it's not the whole story. When I had my last Ford, and I really mean my LAST Ford, no amount of maintenance or money thrown at it would keep you ahead of the game. Things would break on that car that I didn't know could break (alternator casing?), and they would break again after they had been replaced with expensive genuine parts. It was an absolute pig to work on too. I tore a ligament in my thumb the first time I tried to change the oil and couldn't write for 2 months.

In contrast the Xantia has been easier to work on and it's needed much less done. It has never failed an MOT since the computerised type came in and it's barely deteriorated in the 40,000 miles and 5 years I've known it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I had the chance, finally, today to look over my 1.9, and have to say I think it looks very nice.

I think it's been steam cleaned - it's just a bit too clean under the bonnet and all around the door edges. No sign of rusty top 'struts' or whatever they are.

I had a Pug 306 (petrol) a few years ago, and we got shot of it for one reason or another, although I remember not being impressed by the bewlidering antics of the electrics - electric windows that sometimes did, and sometimes didn't, lights coming on the dash without warning, door locks playing up.

So I was/am a bit wary of the Xantia.

Still, this one looks good to me. I washed it down properly today, and rinsed with pure water and she came up very well, although it has brought to light some of the dents I hadn't noticed before.

Great looker I reckon!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

My 96 Xantia TD also has in excess of 260,000 miles covered, got a clutch at 140,000. Suspension tops done at 240,000. Still returning 46/48 MPG.