Why is my Xantia driving like a pimp mobile ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steviebax
My Cars:

Why is my Xantia driving like a pimp mobile ??

Post by Steviebax »

Hi folks

I've never had a citroen before but l was under the impression that the suspension was supposed to be as smooth as a velvet carpet ??

So why does the front of my R reg xantia bounce up and down when l go over small bumps in the road. My other car is a Vectra and it hardly moves on the same tarmac - nice and level. The Xantia front end goes up and down like a ship on the sea. I replaced the accumulator cos it was shot so it's not that.

My car does not have hydroactive suspension or an active anti-roll bar, it's simply the basic model.

So l'm assuming a sphere on each corner, one anti sink, and one accumulator.

Can anyone help - could it be the rear suspension spheres which are shot ??

Oh, and the LHM fluid is nice a fresh (green) - but l've noticed that the LHM level indicator is right at the top.. Could it be overfull ??

How do you check ???

Cheers.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Steve, fluid level shoud read overfilled when suspension in normal mode..

when suspension fully up, then you should get a reading between the two marks.

Sounds like front spheres....

John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

New front spheres required (assuming the ride height is OK).

Check LHM with suspension on high - indicator should drop and be between the lines. Will not affect the ride though - just makes a mess of overfull!
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

New spheres are about £20 from GSF, replace both front ones, also check how long between the ticks from the accumulator sphere when the engine is running, if it's less than a minute, replace that sphere.
If there's no service history of sphere changes, it might be worth replacing all 6 spheres anyway.

Here's how to make your own sphere removal tool:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850

The BoL (haynes manual) covers it pretty well, but for the rears, if they're grubby, set the suspension on high, get friends to sit in the boot, and then slacken the spheres just a little bit like that (making sure the car is supported if you work under it!), then with axle stands on the back jacking points, set the suspension on low, and follow the BoL instructions for depressurising the system (ie undo the bolt by the accumulator sphere until it hisses, and let it finish hissing).
Doing this will make the car tilt on the stands, and so lift the back up so you can easily get under.
Having people in the boot and suspension on high secures the rear struts in place so that they don't spin when you try to undo the spheres.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

More help on changing sphere.

Post by Old-Guy »

For more detailed instructions (than the BOL), have a look at this sticky

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24595

I've just done all 6 spheres on my N-reg Xantia using CitroJim's instructions and added my experiences to that thread. :D

My rear spheres were incredibly tight but an 18" breaker bar on an oil-filter chain wrench (£4.69 from Machine Mart - product: 040210243) shifted them after a good squirt of Plus-Gas had been left to soak in for an hour or so.

Please DO NOT apply great force to the rear spheres while the car is on axle stands - you could quite easily topple the car off the stands and you probably wouldn't survive the splat. :cry:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd suggest also that the "smoothness" of a standard Xantia might have been overstated to the OP. Mine's in good hydraulic and general suspension health (touch plastic) and it responds differently to normally sprung cars - but does not magically smooth out a ragged surface.

Note to original poster - ensure that any replacement spheres fitted, have the correct specs.

Regards, Adam.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I'd suggest also that the "smoothness" of a standard Xantia might have been overstated to the OP. Mine's in good hydraulic and general suspension health (touch plastic) and it responds differently to normally sprung cars - but does not magically smooth out a ragged surface.
As addo says, the ride is not quite magic carpet, albeit extremely good. To exprience this you need to try a CX or DS. These both have longer travel supension thanks to wishbones.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj