Coolant Hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Coolant Hose

Post by D.Slatford »

In my Xantia 2.0i 8v, the coolant hose from the heater matrix has developed a big split, right where it joins with the side of the theromostat housing.
Talking to my citroen dealer today, it seems that the hose can only be supplied in one complete piece, from the theromostat housing, including the bleed screw, the heater matrix double connector, and the other hose from that disappearing into wherever the heck it disappears! I feared this, as the hose doesn't seem to detach from the bleed screw housing or the heater matrix connector. Sadly andyspares don't seem to sell this hose..?
The price I was quoted though was either £47, or £101, depending on the revision of my model xantia, denoted by a code printed inside. Will confirm tomorrow which it is, but why would there be such a vast difference in price for a component that should be pretty much the same - just a bundle of rubber hoses and some plastic?! Also, how big a job should it be to replace this hose? I can't yet see where the other hose from the heater matrix connector disappears to, so don't know what's involved in replacing this whole component.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The other end of this hose (on a diesel) goes down to a water housing on the back of the block, where the bottom hose connects to just before entering the pump, I would think a petrol would be similar.
No point trying to apply logic as to how they arrive at the various prices for apparently the same articles, because car manufacturers and dealers are a law unto themselves.
Dave
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW, I had a similar problem on my 16V only possibly worse.
I had the hose leading to the water pump split right on the elbow due to a split tri-ax boot that sent the boot rotten.
Living in "Never never (Citroen)Land" it was almost impossible to access a hose & the price ex-UK was almost a weeks wages. I removed the old hose and did a measure on the end that was split, bought a hose with an elbow all the same size for almost 1/10th the cost, bought a piece of stainless steen pipe the correct size & fitted it to the existing hose.
The piece of stainless was only about 3 or 4 inches long so he didn't charge me & it was a minor job fitting it. I used contact adhesive as a sealant prior to fitting the connector to the two pieces of hose.
May be worth a thought for cost as well as time on a job like this.
Alan S