GEEEE'z what an adventure!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

GEEEE'z what an adventure!

Post by red_dwarfers »

I think I'll have a go at documenting my Xantia tales :D
I suppose a bit of history is in order to start us off.

My first car was the most basic 3cyl 1ltr W reg Corsa B which I purchased from my boss at the time, the day before my 17th birthday. That was the car I learnt to drive in when not with the instructor. The insurance was a bit eeek at around £1600 for such a small car!
I passed my test in sept 2007 and did the pass plus scheme shortly afterwards. The Corsa was a reliable car, did its job but there was always the fact I had only ever overtaken pushbikes in it :lol: and it wasn't really much of a pleasure on the high speed roads.

Now onto my first encounter with a Xantia!
I went for a job interview for an IT engineer around Cctober time last year, suffice to say I got the job in a round about way :lol: . We all walked out back to the car park and one of the guys had painted flowers on his car, went over to have a look (at this point I had no knowledge of the citroen suspension) at what I now know as one of the early sinking Xantias and asked him why his car had sunk at the back. He then proceeded to show me the suspension system - I was hooked! He then also pointed out that he ran it on WVO (never heard of that concept either) which I thought was even more crazy!
Suffice to say I remember the name of the car and for the next couple of months research into Citroen and the Xantia heavily 8)
After looking into insuring one I knew I didn't have a chance until I was 18 with 1yrs NCB so I pined until then!
Suprisingly when I did come to price up quotes for the Xantia and Corsa, there was 'only' a difference of around £100. I suppose a young driver with a corsa is stereotyped as a boy racer, whereas a young driver with a large saloon.....oh i don't know!!

I proceeded to have a look at several Xantias and finally came upon a late 1997 White Mk1 TurboD LX with 189,000 miles for £500 and stamped service history up until 179,000 (can't go wrong there! they even had to staple more interval papers in!)
I realised that a few things needed doing, but thats what I aimed for so I could teach myself more about the inner workings of the car.

Short History lesson over!

Kev
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 18 Sep 2012, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

I do enjoy working on the Xant. I think in the months I've had it (since feburary this year) I've spent a fair amount of money on it :o

First off was the service - oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter etc change. climate control levers wouldn't move as they kept getting stuck with the rubber stuff. Strut tops, LHM change, rear suspension spheres, accumulator sphere, air con regass (garage job) (no leaks found) spring tensioner, auxillary drivebelt, ECU and connector. Think thats about it so far.

Yesterday I changed the cam cover gasket, that was a tight job. Took off the air ducts that allowed me access to the cover, took off the coolant pipe that runs along the top and the oil breather. Tried to take the cam cover off but the coolant pipe clips screwed to the top of the cam cover caugh the inlet manifold so they had to come off. What a job THAT was! you really need one of those rachet spanners to get in there, still I had to stick with a standard one. It would have been easier if I could take off the ducts that run on the left side of the cam cover but there was a securing nut and bolt and the nut appeared as if it was held by a rubber bit and so kept slipping, also as the duct when down into the depths behind the engine Im sure it would have been quite a job!. After the tediousness of unscrewing those clips I again tried to take the cam cover off, but a bit in the middle was catching on the inlet manifold, no chance was I going to attempt to get that one off unless I really had to. After a bit of playing around I found that if you twist the cam cover towards the front of the car , its possible to then lift and slide out towards the LHM reservoir.
I took the old gasket off and it was like plastic! It was so brittle that I managed to snap it cleanly in half. When putting the new gasket on, make sure that it goes on the right way around, the outward facing tab points towards the back of the car. Before I put the cam cover back, I gave it a bit of a clean off...I was quite suprised of the original colour :lol:

Yesterday I also noticed that I had some kind leak. Im pritty sure it was fuel as it felt like vegetable oil and had a neutral smell. Its a drip more than anything while the engine is running, when the engine stops it increases to a small pour for a couple of seconds. My thought was the fuel leak off pipes as a friend had this problem with his 405 TD so while everything was off I changed them, they also felt rather brittle.
While everything was going back, I noticed the breather pipe that connects to the cam cover is cracking and a chunk came off...oh dear. I know of a Mk2 1.9TD Xant down one of my local scrappies which I got the ECU and connector from so another trip down there is on the cards!

I took the Xant out for a short drive to see if everything has cleared up, lo and behold, im still getting a leak somewhere :lol: so some more searching will commence soon.

List of things that need to be done, I will probably add to this list and tick off what I have done:
Fast idle problem (going to look at that this afternoon after dinner)
Fuel leak
various bit of pipework that are currently crudly patched up
cam belt change in the near future (at 30,000 at the moment)
Clutch change (I've got a work holiday in a month or so, will change the cable, release bearings etc aswell)
electrical problem regarding lights on warning, NSF side light and right hand rear side lights where fuse keeps blowing
get hold of a 4030 radio and fit a CD changer
fix drivers seat up and down setting (from scrappy)
hand brake cable
sort out front height corrector (front doesn't come down to normal from high
sort out intermittant ABS fault (clean around the sensor (thanks for the advice Jim!))
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds like you're having fun!
With the cam cover slide it to the side so the metal inlet manifold lines up with one of the dips in the back of the cover and it should then be easy to rotate it out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good on yer Kev, an excellent start to your blog :D It's so refreshing to see a young 'un appreciating the fine qualities of a Xantia, a car it has to be said, finds it's usual owner base in those of us a little past our first flush of youth :roll: It's even more refreshing you have not felt the compulsion to chav it up either :lol:

You've already really cut your teeth on it. That's a good list of jobs under your belt! Don't look for a cam cover breather pipe on a scrappy as they'll all be brittle by now. Go and see your local stealer. They're ony a fiver or so.

Have fun doing the clutch. It's a big job but straightforward enough. Have a look in the forum for my "blow-by-blow" account of doing the job for a few tips.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

citrojim wrote:It's so refreshing to see a young 'un appreciating the fine qualities of a Xantia, a car it has to be said, finds it's usual owner base in those of us a little past our first flush of youth
Speak for yourself eh Jim! :lol:

Your right though, it is good. Another fellow youngun on the site (I'm only 20)

Good start to start to the blog! It's always interesting reading about other's escapades with their Xantia's of all different varieties. Keep Up the good work!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote: Speak for yourself eh Jim! :lol:

Your right though, it is good. Another fellow youngun on the site (I'm only 20)
Sorry Toby :oops: I really didn't phrase that one very well did I? Must be my age (49) :roll: Luckily, normally, I don't act or feel that old.. My boss reckons I'm a teenager trapped in an adults body :lol:

Anyway, apologies for any offence caused or taken for my blatently ageist remark :-#
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Not at all Jim

Was only pulling your leg :lol: :twisted:

I think your right, other than on this forum I have never seen anyone that seems younger than about 30 driving a Xantia
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

A couple of days back I had a look at the fast idle problem im having. I tested the thermostat resistance through to the ECU connector and all was in tolerance with what Jim has said. Once again, thanks mate, it would have been impossible without your help with the diagrams!
I'm going to explain my findings in a bit more detail over on the 'ECU connector suprise' thread.

Went down the scrap dealers again today, hoping to get an ECU box without any snapped clips, a clip for holding the bonnet stand (currently have a concoction of cable ties) and a height adjuster for the drivers seat.
Found 2 Mk2 Xantias down there, both 1.9 TDs. 1 on a V plate in metallic red and another on an S plate in black.
I was intrigued by the black one as it was an LX yet it had a rear spoiler which I thought came with the SX. It also had a CD changer capable radio (CD button on the front and round 13 pin socket on the back) and there were signs of Citroen alloy wheels, the other LX on the V plate wasn't CD changer compatible. I presume that these must have been optional extras or added by one of the previous owners. The ECU boxes on both of the cars had their clips broken

In the end I bought the radio, seat height adjuster and a spare hydraulic pump for good measure for a tidy £50.

The radio, which turns out to be a Clarion PU-1562A, came with what I thought was the radio code but the code turns out not to work, typical :lol:
I had a browse around on the web as I have heard that some radio codes are coded into their serial number, only to find out that this is only the case on the proper Mk1 blaupunkt units. I did have a look around the forum too and found that uncle buck had a go at reading an EPROM directly so a PM has been sent off to him for more information!
:D What I might also do is note down the VIN and registration number of the car when I next go down and see if Citroen have the right code in their records (hoping I won't have to show proof of ownership), that will of course only work if that was the original radio. Another source has also said that it should be possible to get the code directly from a Clarion dealer.

On the way back from the scrap dealer I intended to pop in to Citroen and pick up some supplies:
- Clutch clip
- LHM tank to HP pump hose
- Cam cover breather hose
- A fast idle electrovalve
...but thier service dept had closed for the weekend :lol:
A Citroen salesman came straight up to me as soon as I walked into the door and I swear he was the same guy (Henry) in this Xantia advert that drives the woman home -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmf41qil ... re=related
:lol:

Last but no means least, as I have said, there are two 1.9 TD Xantia LX's in black and red down my local scrapyard, if anyone needs anything from them, let me know and we can use the parts relay system (or postage).
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Did somebody say black Xantia!!???????

What state is the bodywork in!!?

Is the bonnet good?
Are the doors good?
Are they cheap???

Oh, where did you say you were?

last night saw a whole additional batch of scratches down the nearside on my
Activa (on top of those pictured). Scum :x :evil: :x :evil: :x

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 20 Sep 2008, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Realise on rereading the post Kev, that the Xantia is a S2. I'd seriously
consider getting the bonnet still if it's good and cheap as I've got most
of the other bits to fit it on my s1 Xantia!! Would need the trims that clip
under the headlights that are part of the grille on a S1 too though!
Andrew
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

I wondered when you would post Andrew :lol:
I would have let you known as soon as I got home if it was a S1.

Im not 100% sure on the condition of the bonnet, but I'll pop down/give them a ring if you like?
Anything else you want me to look for Andrew?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Hi Kev,

I guess the way things are looking on the poor Activa I'd need both the
passenger side doors and even the front wings too. It may be worth checking
the black as mine is flat rather than metallic and being a s2 the paintcode
may (will?) be different. It's actually a rare sight seeing a black Xantia so
I'm open to ideas.

At least a s2 door or wing would match an Activa. To make a whole lot of
traveling for me worthwhile it'd have to be keenly priced though!

Andrew
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'll see if I can make it down the scrappy again sometime during the week to check the condition of the bits, check the paint code, take some pictures and to get a quote.

So you'll be wanting me to look at - passengers side doors and front wing and possibly a bonnet.

Just thinking, if you were wanting the bonnet, arn't the headlights styled differently on an S2?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Yep, the whole lot is different under the bonnet; headlights, striker panel,
strips under the headlights (already mentioned) and indicators and IIRC
the fan headlight panel though I'd have to remind myself about this last item.
I've broken a s2 so have all the bits apart from the black specific items.

So, both front wings, both passenger doors, the bonnet and the trims under
the headlights. I've no idea what the scrappy rate for these things is, but
imagine a yard if he rarely sells these Xantia items would probably just do
an all in one price deal - what do you reckon - are they expensive or cheap!?

That deal you did earlier sounded OK! I won't need the mirror either!

Andrew
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Went down to the scrappy again on Saturday (my, im a bit late updating this!) and had a look at some bits for Andrew (andmcit) on a black Xantia:

Unfortunatly at some point in the last couple of weeks, they have plonked another car on top bending and damaging most of the panels :o
I was looking at getting the steering wheel coweling from one of the Series 2 Xantias. After getting the air bag and that off I discovered that the S2 has a different way of fixing the steering wheel to the column, rather than a bolt, it has a large torque screw of which neither I nor the scrap people had. Still, I had the steering radio control PCB if I ever try to fit the S2 radio to my S1 Xant.
On the way back from the scrappy, I popped in to the Citroen garage to pick up a clutch clip and retainer and a cam breather hose. I also asked about the LHM return pipes (I originally though they were from the LHM resivour to the pump! £120 that it, one of those 'octopus' pipes, we then had a nice chat and he explained a bit more about the hydraulic system of the BX and Xantia using the Citroen Service site to show graphically. What a nice chap he was!

I had a look on eBay to see if anyone was selling bit of a Xantia and as luck would have it, a scrap dealer was selling just the bit I needed from a similar aged 1.9TD for cheaper than my local scrappy and that was including P&P!
Recieved that today, well packed i must say and in very good condition so I will be fitting that over the weekend.
I also had a very expensive lunch today...cost me £80 :o
Went down one of the local tool shops and bought a 1/2 drive breaker bar, a big set of allen keys (metric and imp.), impact driver and a couple of sets of bolt grips (one packet of small grips, another with larger ones).

On the way home from work today I saw a black Citroen C6, I think it was the same on that I saw a couple of months back. Cor! If I had the money!
When I went to the Citroen garage, they had 3 or 4 C6s about so had a quick nose around them while I was there :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair