407 Gearbox oil slipped out...........

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobsp

407 Gearbox oil slipped out...........

Post by bobsp »

Hi,

While changing the lower ball joints on my 407, aswell as the drop lin bars, and now I need to change the track rod ends, a load of gearbox oil came out. I obviuosly need to top it up.

What oil do I use, and where do I top it up?

It is a 2.2 SE manual.

Also does anyone know where I can get some polythurane bushes for the suspension.

Thanks guys.

Bob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's good to see that the 407 has inheriated a trait from its forebears Bob :lol:

Unless things have radically changed in the last few years, most, if not all, PSA manual gearboxes tend to use a rather unusual oil with a viscosity rating of 75W/80 and I'd not be at all surprised if the 407 uses this but don't take my words as gospel. You never know with Peugeot, they may have changed the spec.

It is critical to use the right oil in any case. Too many gearchanges on Pugs and Citroens have been spoilt by garages topping up with the wrong stuff :twisted:

Given that the 407 'box does use 75W/80, you may have some trouble finding the best one: Total BV. A good alternative in my experience is Comma 75W/80 which states on the bottle that it is for certain Peugeot and Citroen 'boxes.

How it is topped up depends on the gearbox type. If the gearbox is of the M (e.g. ML5) series then the drain and fill/level plugs are on the back of the diff housing and not easy to reach.They have a slightly unusual size of square drive hole. It is often easier to drain the 'box and refill with a measured amount through the reversing light switch hole (after removing the reversing light switch) on top of the 'box or, undo the level plug and top up via the reversing light switch hole until oil just dribbles out of the level plug.

Last time I used this method to fill an ML5 'box I found a small plastic funnel attached to a length of plastic pipe did the job rather well and avoided spillages.

I'm sorry this is not a definitive answer :( 407s are still a bit on the new side for a lot of us on here...

Polyurethane bushes. best to have a word with one of the principal suppliers who advertise in the mags - Polybush and the like, and see what they can offer.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobsp

Post by bobsp »

Hi,

Thanks for that. Looking here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finde ... mmendation It says 75/90. As does commaoil.com. I have a 2004 2.2 SE.

I called Peugeot, and they wouldn't tell me. They just said bring it in and we will have a look.............I wont be doing that.

I have changed my drop link bars, track rod ends, and my lower ball joints now. The front end feels perfect now. I am not going to let them put chip oil in my gearbox. I would rather let the Mrs do it......

Is there a big diff between 75/90 and 75/80. hat would be the worst if I got it wrong?

Looking in the manual my gearbox is a 6D3FZH/IF. (Manual box)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

after drive shafts have been removed, it is said you will loose 1lt of gear oil,

i always use unscrew the plastic vent plug (17mm socket size ) and top up via that, it is on top of the gear box just by the rear end cornner of the battery tray, ans as long as oil came out and stopped running it is safe to just put back in the 1lt,

the main diff between those two oils is the viscosity, and as Jim said it is best to use the thinner / 80 because it makes for smoother gear changes,

but some newer gear box's run a semi or fully sinthetic oil, and they say you must not use a minaral based oil in that case,

regards malcolm
bobsp

Post by bobsp »

Right got some 75/80, and went to top it up. Took ns wheel off, there is su much plastic there I could not really see much, so I decided to go in from the top. I found what I think is the reversing cable, looks tight to get a spanner in, but..... next to it there is a black plastic cap. I pulled it off and there is some sort of oil on it, like when you take the enine cap off, I put a thin screwdriver in, and id goes down and down. Is this some kind of filler point or breather? the cap has castle edges so when it is on it is not completely sealed. I have put some pics below.
Where cap is..
Cap taken off
Where ap was fitted
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep that is the vent/breather which is were i allways put gear oil in through,

if you have only removed one or both drive shafts it is said you loose 1lt of gear oil

regards malcolm
bobsp

Post by bobsp »

OK great, I rekon it was about 1L that came out, I will put 1L back in, cant see there being a problem if I am out .1 or .2L

Thanks

Bob
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you were 1 or 2lt's short/low it would make a big diferance, because when you put gear oil in, it fills the box up first to the level/ledge, then overfills into the diff,

so after pulling 1 or both drive shafts out you empty the diff,

regards malcolm