2.1 auxiliary belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raj

2.1 auxiliary belt change

Post by Raj »

Hi All...

I'm sure this topic has been explained to death already but please bear with me...

This shold be a simple job on my 2.1 (with A/C)... just need to get a 3/8" square drive into the auto tensioner hole, turn clockwise and belt should slack right?

Well i've hit my first problem - can't get the right kind of bar to get leverage on the auto tensioner hole. Can anyone recommend a specific tool or ratchet? The ones I've got are either too wide to get into the tight space or too short to give enough leverage on the hole - cam belt cover gets in the way. I hate to moan but everything on this engine is such a tight squeeze its not even funny.

Is it possible to change a belt just by loosening the eccentric tensioner? This would make my life a hell of a lot easier!!!

Cheers, Raj
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could you extend the handle of the ratchet that fits but is too short with a steel tube?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The problem is that a ratched head with a normal short extension is just a bit too long :(

I use the same tool as I use for retracting 1.9TD cambelt tensioners. This is a short 3/8" extension (from the socket set) with flats ground on the female end to accomodate the jaws of a 15mm open-ended spanner. The flats need to be ground so they are a good, tight fit on the spanner.

Put a decent 15mm spanner on the end and you have the perfect tool for the job. I've used this tool countless times now over a period of many years.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Raj

Post by Raj »

myglaren - thanks, did try this but I need a wider socket to get good leverage with an extension bar / tube AND get grip on the hole. If space wasnt so tight maybe wouldnt be a problem.

citrojim - good idea. Any ready made sockets that fit this spec? I doubt I got the tools and skill to grind as you have said.

Thanks
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

A crude, one-off, variation on CitroJim's method is to grab the female end of the extension bar with a mole-wrench. Like Jim, used for my 1.9TD cambelt tensioner. Chewed up the extension a bit, but the whole kit only cost £4.99!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)