Problem, Xantia Reverse and fog lights.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cleansweep

Problem, Xantia Reverse and fog lights.

Post by cleansweep »

Both have stopped working on my 2000 xantia est.
First I checked the fuses, none blown.

Is there a plug that may have worked loose tat connects both?
W reg xantia Hdi Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chances are you have a broken wire (or wires) in the rubber bellows adjacent to one of the tailgate hinges. A common enough problem.

Also, as the tailgate is made of plastic, earths need to be carefully checked.

Are your number plate lights and wiper working or are these dead too?

If you need to remove the tailgate trim to effect repairs, take the opportunity to check the integrity of the tailgate membrane seal to avoid water ingress into the cargo area.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can check partway along for signal voltage, but it's not desperately easy. There's a main rear loom disconnect (named IC25) adjacent to your driver's seat, tucked against the inside face of the sill.

You will need the wire codes from a manual, to determine which ones you're looking for. Brakes are 212 and 213 but I don't know what reverse is coded.

FWIW you can get pretty good access to most of the tailgate lamp wiring through the velcro'd covers. This of course excludes the tilt switch, locking and wiper setup.

Regards, Adam.

cleansweep

Post by cleansweep »

Thanks for the much needed info,
Are your number plate lights and wiper working or are these dead too?
sometimes the rear window wiper stops working so this does indicate a problem with the wiring, thanks for the replies
W reg xantia Hdi Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The rear wiper unreliability is another issue altogether (internal fatigue of solder joints). I dealt with it recently, and added a small write-up to an exisiting thread - search by my username, rear and wiper to find it. Happily, it's a straightforward and fairly quick repair.

Regards, Adam.