Save a nice Xantia TD saloon!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Save a nice Xantia TD saloon!!

Post by andmcit »

From an offer on my "black bonnet wanted" listing on this forum's For Sale:

Black early Lx saloon, on a L with later grille and bonnet an s2 interior but early steering wheel. Lekky roof and alloys and nice shiny straight bodywork.

Not my car, but I can't buy it just for the Bonnet when the car is so straight and obviously maintained well/looked after! I can't bear doing anything nasty to it...

High miles but on a replacement engine! Short Mot and long tax available at face value.

Car located in Chippenham
speak to Martin
NEW HOME NEEDED BY SATURDAY OR IT GET'S WEIGHED IN!!

Contact via For Sale listing here
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Forgot to mention, in a rare moment of being rational, I really REALLY mustn't buy any more cars! Don't let me buy one off you!! You've been warned! Ignore my ramblings if I say I'll buy your Citroen... :lol: ;)

Yes, I have poor self discipline with a bad case of Citroenitis...

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know exactly what you mean Andrew. I feel the need to save Xantias (in fact any Citroen) just like you :roll:

What makes your post all the more poignant is that it is an early MK1 and I have a tremendous soft-spot for them :) I have one already and when it returns from its loan to a friend early in the new year I intend to do a bit of a restoration job on it. Mine is a really early one and I call it my Xantia BX as really it is just a BX in a Xantia bodyshell... I really feel the need to being it back to pristine condition. It's not too bad now and worth doing. There cannot be many original sinking MK1s left now.

Please save it someone and make Andrew and I happy!

I bet you'd buy a V6 or 2.1TD Activa Estate if one came up though :wink: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

citrojim wrote:I bet you'd buy a V6 or 2.1TD Activa Estate if one came up though :wink: :lol:
I believe I'm fairly safe in the knowledge that there's little chance of having
this temptation to worry about! I'm trying to be very disciplined when I see
Activa's for sale almost certain to be scrapped for their engine... :evil:

The car Martin has is FAR better than one I see parked outside my work
on a daily basis that seems to defy all visual cues to it's rundown state
and continue to give good reliable service!! TOUGH CARS THESE!

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I know how you feel. I bought an XM for spares in february - its now on the road having fitted a clutch! It was just far to good to scrap. :? :) :D
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

citrojim wrote: I bet you'd buy a V6 or 2.1TD Activa Estate if one came up though :wink: :lol:
Funny you say that.

I wouldn't mind a 2.1TD to see what it's like compared to my HDi

Also wouldn't mind a V6 after having a Vectra V6

Again, as you already know I want an Activa too

Slowly getting into older Citroens too, XM, BX, CX :oops:

C5 and C6 too? Getting silly now :twisted:

Just a shame I can't afford to run more than 1 :lol:

1 year into Citroen ownership and am already thinking of starting a Citroen family :o :lol: :oops:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Toby_HDi wrote: Slowly getting into older Citroens too, XM, BX, CX :oops:
Funny you say that as I've just returned from France in a new addition to my fleet, it's a little older than those you mention :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
Funny you say that as I've just returned from France in a new addition to my fleet, it's a little older than those you mention :D
Citroens are very addictive Toby. I started off by almost accidentially ending up with a Xantia when I was looking for a 406 :lol: Look at where it's taken me! Getting a Citroen and joining the Citroen community has been one of the better things I've done in my life and I've made some very good friends along the way :D

How's the new arrival then Richard? Did it all go OK?

Speaking of the DS, did you see thisover on the BX Club Forum?

:lol: :twisted: :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Andrew, Thanks for taking the trouble to come up and visit.. It's always good to put a face to a name.. I've put the car in the for sale column.. I'll take offers if necessary just to see the car stay on the road. (I'll miss the look on people's faces as the car rises up when started -not to mention the uneasy silences from my passengers as they try to understand that it isn't always necessary to have rock-hard suspension to go around corners safely and quickly ! ) Regards, Martin
I won't do that again
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

citrojim wrote: Citroens are very addictive Toby. I started off by almost accidentially ending up with a Xantia when I was looking for a 406
Exactly how I did. Wanted a 406 HDi but ended up with the Xantia. All because I couldn't afford to run the Vectra anymore. I've heard the Xantia is slightly better on fuel than the 406 anyway.

They are addicitve. Like I say, the bug for a family of Citroens is there

Looking for a red Xantia too :oops: they look so good in that colour
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citrojim wrote:
DickieG wrote:
How's the new arrival then Richard? Did it all go OK?
It was an excellent trip made even better by the wonderful hospitality of previous owner (Nicholas Greene) and his wife (Trudy) who put us up for the night in their lovely French farmhouse.

The experience of driving 450 miles through France in a beautiful DS including stopping off at the Eiffel Tower for the obligatory photo's will be remembered for a very long time. The French clearly still have a very high regard for the DS as we received numerous admiring glances, waves and were even flagged down by another motorist in Paris who wanted a closer look :D Bearing in mind that we drove over 550 miles in one day, all three of us got out when we arrived home without the slightest ache or pain

At the moment she's tucked up in my garage whilst I try to get on with giving her the "once over", however every time I go out there instead of getting on with it I keep finding myself just staring at her wonderful shape and the detail of the design. The best thing of all about my girl is that she's as solid as a rock \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

What a car, no wonder they called the DS "The Goddess" =D>.
citrojim wrote:Speaking of the DS, did you see thisover on the BX Club Forum?

:lol: :twisted: :roll:
Yes I did see that a few days ago, OMG :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Toby; I've got a tomato red 1.8 16v'er that's urgently in need of a new keeper or it get's weighed in for scrap; would rather it continued to live in the hands of a fellow enthusiast for the same money!

Do I need to detail any further or is it a no-no because it's not a diesel and I'm located in the back of beyond here in South Wales?

Until my mate pointed this out to me, i hadn't noticed that Xantiae are disappearing fast in this area; are they all really being scrapped!?

Andrew
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks for the offer Andrew, was thinking more the burgandy red.

Anyway it's a no no because I have no money :lol: I have too much to do to my own Xantia at the moment and yes South Wales is a fair trek.

Thanks though
Toby
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I really love Xantia's and Citroen, but i would not bother saving an LX model Xantia or even feel guilty about one being crushed, in my opinion LX's should never have even been given life,

No Hydroactive
No rear electric Windows
No Auto Windscreen wipers

to name but a few downsides.

Only Activa's, Exclusives, and V6's should be saved. Maybe a few nice SX's , but LX's :shock: , i though my first Xantia SX was basic.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

May still be able to tempt you Toby!! :D

VSX 16v 2.0i in burgundy on a K plate? Not silly miles but needs modest TLC with most pressing being new water pump and timing belt.

A rare early car now with the chevrons on the bonnet and FDV and
early pump! Very well equipped car actually with ABS and all electrics
but no leather.

Andrew