C5 Steering Wheel Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KeithC5

C5 Steering Wheel Change

Post by KeithC5 »

The leather on the steering wheel on my 2005 C5 VTR has become 'wrinkly' and quite uncomfortable where the previous owner used to hold it in one place, so I have 3 questions.

1 Does anyone know of a suitable repair for this
2 How easy is it to change the wheel if I were to buy one from a scrap vehicle ?
3 Would a wheel from an earlier model fit my car? :?:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

1. change the wheel

2. Very easy. switch ignition off for 2 minutes, disconect battery & wait 2 minutes. there are 3 clips holding in airbag, pull on airbag slightly & with a long flat head screwdriver push clips outwards one at a time & airbag will pop off, unplug the two airbag connectors & the horn wire. steering wheel is held in by a T-50 bolt.

3. dont see why not, bear in mind cars with ESP have a master spline without ESP doesent.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The steering wheel on mine was the same so I bought a leather steering wheel 'glove' from Halfords (£9.99). It took a while to lace up but it's done the job. I couldn't find a C5 in any of the local scrappers.

Steve.
not applicable
KeithC5

Post by KeithC5 »

I bought the cover from Halfords at £9.99 but when I tried it against the wheel it wasn't wide enough to meet around the thickness of the steering wheel so I returned it, did you manage to get it to meet ok?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I'm no expert on leather coverings etc, but I frequently observe people at work who assemble leather seats.. One of the techniques is to iron the leather cover once fitted and hey presto the wrinkles are gone, it is the steam from the iron that does this apparently... surely worth trying the wifes steam iron on a wheel that you are prepared to scrap anyway!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate