Cam belt change 306

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cityfinal

Cam belt change 306

Post by cityfinal »

Does anyone know the procedure for changing the cam belt on a 306 non turbo diesel.The plastic cover has been removed, I just want to know about what position the various pulleys should be in during the fitment of the belt.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The critical thing is to get the cam, pump and crank in perfect time before releasing the tensioner and slipping the belt off.

I'm presuming you have the crank pulley off if the covers are off.

Engage fifth, chock one wheel and rotate the other to bring the engine to time. Rotate the engine clockwise only, never backwards, until the cam and pump sprockets nearly come to time. They're in time when the hole on the cam pulley registers with the 8mm tapped hole in the head and the two cam sprocket holes are in line with their respective holes. From memory, the cam sprocket is in time at about 7 o'clock and the pump sprocket at 12 0'clock and 4 o'clock. Don't quite bring the engine to time just yet, say about ten minutes off. The most important one is the crank timing. The timing hole is behind the starter and hard to see and feel. I use a bent length of copper brake pipe and knowing roughly where it is, it works well. If this is the first time you've done the job, it'll be easier to pop the starter motor out to find the hole. Slowly rotate the engine until the pipe just slips into the crank timing hole and goes into the hole in the flywheel and locks the crank.

You now should see the cam and pump sprockets are in time. Now insert 8mm bolts into the cam and pump sprockets to keep everything firmly locked in place whilst you release the tensioner and swap the belt. Replace the belt, allow the tensioner to take up tension, remove the timing pins and rotate the engine two full revolutions and recheck timing. If OK, release and reapply the tensioner, tighten the tensioner pivot and locking bolts and recheck the timing.

Some cheat and do the belt without locking the crank (because it's hard) but it is soooo easy to end up a tooth out on the timing if you try like this and on a diesel a tooth out is a lot out.

The timing must be spot-on. Check, check and check again until you are 100% happy.

Swap your water pump whilst you have the belt off as you don't want to do the job again two weeks later when the old water pump fails (as they do)!

Make sure the cam belt tensioner are in good nick. Replace if in any doubt.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

Good explanation that. With all the locking pins and holes you can't go too wrong really. Just don't leave one of your locking pins in and start the car, as I did once :oops: