Intermiitent ABS Flashing Xantia hdi 90 estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulbx
My Cars:

Intermiitent ABS Flashing Xantia hdi 90 estate

Post by paulbx »

Folks

Just returning from hols and ABS light flashes intermittently on motorway. Next day on a few short journeys - no flashing - any guidance would be useful - including ignoring it until it ever returns!

We returned last Saturday night which was particularly steamy if peeps remember and we we were on a ferry where the car deck was amazingly hot and humid - perhaps water penetration/oxidisation on the contacts?

Paul

Xantia estate 2.0 Hdi 109,000 miles
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

I've had this happen and a good clean-up of the "Dragons Teeth" (ABS Sensor pickup rings) on the hubs often works. If they get a bit rusty and dirty, the signals can be a bit ropey and the ECU logs a fault. On the fronts, it's also a good idea to give the end of the ABS sensor a good clean to remove any muck from its pole-pieces.

A read and reset of the ABS ECU is not a bad idea as it can be quite a surprise just how mny intermittent faults it can collect over time. It'll also give you a clue as to which wheel sensor (or sensors) is complaining.

Disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes to give the ABS ECU a good reset. I'm not sure if this will clear the stored faults though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
paulbx
My Cars:

ABS - I'll give that a try and report back

Post by paulbx »

Many thanks CitronJim!

PaulB
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The ECU clears faults as soon as you hit 20mph- as long as the fault is no longer present.

My guess is that one of the rings is cracked and/or running out of true. That's what it was on mine. It eventually shed the ring altogether and I had to replace the entire CV joint.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.